11 February 2021

Two Prompts Behind!

So this is where I am on the Hourglass prompt. Hey, only a year late! It's taken me forever to find time for this new project after I ditched the hourglass units on a previous effort. With all the little units joining up right next to each other, naturally it's going to be obvious when they don't meet up perfectly at the seams.

Adhoc. Improv. Hourglass

This is something that I considered and then decided to leave be {not trim to an equal, exact size} so as to emphasize the fact that they are in fact, separate units. This should result in a more 'human touch', utilitarian look which of course is something I adore. Knowing the limits of my sewing accuracy, I normally would never even attempt this hourglass unit method for this sort of design effect! I'd much rather cut out the squares and then add quarter triangles in order to have a much, much better chance of getting things to look sharp. That being said, if I'm going to be coming at it from this particular angle {Adhoc Improv.}, then I'm not going to stress over the sashing unit 'squares' not being square. Does that make sense? We'll see how it ends up. I'm hoping for a nice, cozy looking quilt!

After this quilt top is finished, then I will deliberately turn to the Positive Thinking prompt once again. Lots to love about that project and I feel about ready to try once again. For the past several months {year?}, it's been hard to focus on the positive and this was unfortunately an easy project to blissfully ignore.*sigh  As I am two prompts behind now, I've made the executive decision to delay starting the brand new strings QAL until I'm more caught up. Will be watching and enjoying everyone else's growing string quilts with envy!


6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good for you for reducing the stress level over perfectly-matched points/corners! This will be another of your wonderful utility quilts.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Delightful! I love this perfectly imperfect look with your hourglass units!

Kaja said...

Oh my gosh, I love this. I had been trying to figure out the tulip part of the string challenge and now I know - I just want your tulips!

Ann said...

A wonderful top, Audrey. The sashing sets off the beautiful reds and pinks perfectly. Where would we be without grounding? That’s what the sashing does here. I so admire your bold color choices for the tulip petals and leaves. And, like you, invoking the human touch makes this a much better design than striving for machine-like perfection. Congratulations.

rondiquilts said...

I think this is lovely. I saw the image first and knew it was one of Audrey's pieces without reading a word. Love your work.

Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

Janie said...


Your projects are always fun and exciting and that's a good thing.