15 September 2020

My granddaughter's first handbag

[The bulk of this post first appeared on my blog on 25 August.]

Mary asked yesterday where we all are and what are we working on. My Mid-Century Modern Curves project has been on hold for several months; I've finished my blocks and have hit a wall with regard to final layout. I haven't stopped sewing, but my creativity seems to have dried up, along with my concentration.

In the meantime my daughter-in-law requested a shoulder bag for her daughter who loves putting things in bags! I had great plans and a pattern to make a sweet bag for a toddler. Then plans changed.

It started with the partial collapse of a wardrobe, followed by the removal of the contents into storage boxes and the transfer of a lot of old stuff to the recycling and the dump. Among the mixed handwork items on one of the shelves was a little piece of machine sewn crazy quilting that I had tried my hand at eight years ago, soon after I bought my new machine and was putting it through it's paces. I'd never taken a patchwork or quilting course at that stage, so didn't know the "rules": improv before I'd even heard of it! 

It turned out to be just the right size for a bag for a little girl to put her hanky in! No pattern, no quilting cotton, but tweed, polyester, jersey fleece and even a piece of tea-towel; just improvising by trial and error:

 With a fun lining:


And now a sweet little owner called Roos (pronounced Rose);

 
who wasn't sure about it at first ...
 
so her twin brother decided he'd like to try it

It looks like I'll have to make something for him too.

Keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly.

4 comments:

patty a. said...

The kids are so cute wearing the purse and the purse turned out so pretty!

Ann said...

Adorable grandchildren. They will both love the bags... as soon as you finish the second one. You could call them satchels.

Janie said...

Sweet handbag! And adorable grandchildren, have fun and thanks for sharing.

Mary Marcotte said...

I meant to suggest a fanny pack for the brother, but you probably made his little bag a long time ago. Your grandies are at a fun age. EVERYthing they do is cute and funny, and boo-boos are just a little over-the-top dramatic. We have three in this age range and laugh the entire time they are here.