01 August 2020

AHIQ Challenge 'Positive Thinking' Quilt Project and 2 Favorite Books That Encourage My Creativity


This lighthearted book on design possibilities always makes me smile.

Beginnings of hand piecing, my 'Primary Plaids'.

Arranging units.


more thinking....

and more improv arranging......



Back view...

Pinned and ready for hand stitching...

Yellow Plaid for the back and my copy of Liberated Quiltmaking II by Gwen Marston.




Hello Quilt Friends! This is my "positive thinking" post for the new AHIQ challenge.
This little quilt is made from recycled shirts I bought at the local thrift shop. 
It is all done old school, I used scissors, no rotary and I hand pieced all of it.
My sewing machine and rotary cutter are in storage and we're living in a hotel!
How's that for an exciting life?
But really it is beautiful here right beside the American River. People come here to ride the river in paddle boats or canoes. 
This is an extended vacation of sorts.


My little quilt, Primary Plaid, was inspired by my color calendar color of the month, Primary, which is really three colors, red, yellow and blue.
I challenged myself to hand piecing because that was the only choice I had. That or nothing.
Our grandmothers hand sewed and there are current quilters who hand piece and turn out amazing quilts, that's what I told myself.
So this little quilt has been a positive thinking project, look what's possible with limited resources!
And I keep my two books Liberated Quilt Making II, and Freddie and Gwen Collaborate Again, close by for color inspiration.
I'm happy with it.

Check out my blog for more on this project if you like; crazyvictoriana.blogspot.com.

I'll be by to visit.


6 comments:

Robin said...

This is a very cheerful quilt. I would have never thought to put red with it but it enhances the plaids and looks great. I look forward to seeing it come all together.

cspoonquilt said...

oooh, love that red and blue together along with the plaid! I love those authors as well. I was lucky enough to have Gwen as teacher early on in my quilt making adventures! Her work has always been a huge inspiration for me.

Ann said...

Adding red to the cornflower blue makes a lovely quilt. Those are two of my favorite books, too, and a refer to them frequently. I'm glad you're having fun by the American River... or at least, looking on the bright side. Handwork is perfect for traveling.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a delightful combination - I really really like this.

audrey said...

So glad you have an interesting hand work project! Looking wonderful.:) And that's one of my favorite books. Too bad there weren't more authors as fantastic as those two!

Mystic Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.