29 January 2020

Copacetic Begins



This inspiration photo was saved years ago.

Maker unknown (NOT my work)

Combining that inspiration with 
the current Ad Hoc Improv Quilters 
hourglass block challenge . . .




Here is my fabric pull --
fabrics to the left for 6.5" squares
and fabrics to the right for hourglass units.

My goal is to cut one square from each fabric
to achieve an eclectic scrappy vibe.

(that bicycle print from the stash
will be used for the back)




Here's a closer look at the 
pairs of fabrics for hourglass blocks.




After trimming the hourglass blocks to 6.5"
this is what was left behind.

(I started with 8.5" squares)




Somehow, I messed up on the math and ended up
with half  as many hourglasses as were needed.

Back to the stash for fabric pull part two.




Leftover trimmings from the second 20 hourglasses.




First layout - to get them all up on the design wall.

(the colors are so much prettier in real life -
the mix of indoor and window light was not cooperating)




I'll do some tweaking
and maybe a bit of substituting
before I sew this together.

Target size 48" x 60"

And I've named this one Copacetic,
which means "completely satisfactory."


8 comments:

Sandy said...

I love it! I wasn't so sure when i looked at your fabric pull (too contemporary?) but on the wall they're perfect! So colorful, and it definitely has a vintage vibe.

Kaja said...

Like Sandy, I thought the fabric pull had a contemporary feel, but on the wall you have definitely got that vintage thing going on - very clever of you!

Janie said...

This is a design with endless possibilities, good choice, and that vintage quilt is a beauty.
I'm sure you will get it completely, satisfactorily arranged to your liking!

Mystic Quilter said...

Good to see your new top posted here Julie, I forgot to say in your post how much I liked the bicycle fabric, so different!

O'Quilts said...

Julie....it is sooo happy...xo

Linda said...

Pretty color combos!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks, ya'll - sorry about the mix up between vintage and new fabric. Happy to read that so many of you feel the same eclectic scrappy vibe in Copacetic that I do!

Debra Dixon said...

Makes my heart sing! Just lovely!