24 February 2019

UandU Plus Red is a Neutral Challenges

When Sujata published the challenge to use a quilt from Roderick Kiracofe's Unconventional and Unexpected I jumped aboard immediately. Over the years Rod's books and periodicals have been mainstays of my quilting education. So a quilt inspired by one in his collection was exciting.

Then I waffled. Sujata has a great idea. I like that quilt... especially with the lozenge-shaped octagons and quiet colors. Then Maureen showed her progress. Another quilt I'd like to make. In fact, as every quilter has posted her choice I've wanted to make "that one" too.

I saw a quilt Rod posted on Instagram from Eli Leon's collection that he says is in UandU. I couldn't find it; however, I already have red and white strips cut and sewed. They would also work the Red as Neutral challenge.  The strip sets were a Chinese Coins idea that didn't work out. Since then they've been folded in my stash; sorting brought them to light.

Here's what I have to start {plus some assorted unsewn strips.}

Red and white stripes

My first thought was cutting diagonal strips and then cross cutting diamonds... until I realized the stripes will parallel one of the sides rather than run perpendicular to the long axis. On to Plan B. Perhaps my kaleidoscope ruler will help.

Here's what I have now. Only enough for one star. I don't want to make more of these strips.



On to Plan C.

Enjoy the day, Ann

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice turn in the road to make that lovely star...hugs,julierose

Marly said...

Nice! I'm trying to combine both challenges too.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I like your striped star! I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Robin said...

It's fun to see what you're inventing and hear what you're thinking as you sew. Curious to see where this goes. Have fun!

audrey said...

Very eye catching! I have been very curious where you would go with this particular challenge!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your star! However, you have me wondering now what plan C is?

Kaja said...

Oh I like this!

Mystic Quilter said...

We'll all be waiting for Plan C! Good idea to combine the two challenges, I didn't so now busy working on two totally different quilts!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hmmm... I could see this star as the center of a medallion that features lots more reds and whites/neutrals in the surrounding borders. Will be fun to see what you do next.

Mary Marcotte said...

Wow! Love, love that star!