28 July 2018

The Beginning of My Maps/Mapping Challenge



This is my most recent finish -- EPICENTER.

48" wide x 64" long

Created using the free from Rail Fence design

This is the fifth free form rail fence quilt I've made
and I challenged myself with a not-shown-in-the-book
layout that involved four different versions 
of the basic freeform rail fence block.

My off center bulls-eye design named itself
almost as soon as the blocks first went on the design wall.


I quilted this with an outward-moving circle,
like ripples on a pond, using a liberated wavy line
rather than the usual smooth evenly-spaced version.

You can read the story on my blog 
behind the decision not to add 
traditional binding HERE
and you can see more photos 
of the quilt in process in THIS POST.


* * *


Click here for image source

I've thought a great deal about Ann's challenge
for the second half of this year.

Rather than creating a new-from-scratch quilt 
based on a map or to represent the mapping of something,
I want to explore the mapping of my own quilting journey
using the quilts I've made along the way
as well as Epicenter and two or three more
that are waiting in the wings.

I want to go back through my annual quilt journals
and choose the quilts that became milestones 
on my now fourteen-year quilting timeline.

I'll share these in a series of posts here
over the next few months.

I think this will be an interesting 
(and perhaps unexpected way)
to explore Ann's challenge 
on a very personal level.







5 comments:

Kaja said...

Very clever, Julie. This will be a fascinating take on the challenge.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks, Kaja -- I hope it is as interesting as I think it will be!

Mystic Quilter said...

Super idea Julie, I look forward your exciting project!

Ann said...

Thanks for the link to a superb site explaining different mapping styles. It will help everyone. I can't wait to see what comes next.

audrey said...

Love your version of this quilt! The bullseye is very striking! And I'm so intrigued to see what you come up with for the map challenge. Sounds like a great plan already!