10 January 2023

Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition

My biggest challenge this year will be simply to maintain momentum and to make sure I don't waste precious time when it is available to me.   However, here, in no particular order, are some of the thoughts/ideas/plans that have been buzzing around the back of my head.  

  • I have enjoyed sticking with a shape over several quilts recently.  I made several with variations of a chunky wedge shape and it was enjoyable and challenging to come up with a new way to take it each time.  I am now on my second top using an improv quarter circle as a starting point.  I think I want to keep on with this shape for a quilt of two more (though not necessarily all in a row!)
  • I have a number of small elements that have occurred in earlier quilts that I would like to revisit.  Here's an example.

  • Also, more denim, more printing words, and maybe making a quilt to go with one of the titles that have occurred to me and never been used.
  • Finally, though I may not hold myself to this, Ann's post has made me want to consider making a quilted coat. 
Of course, it will be good going it I meet any of these challenges, but I am choosing to aim high.  Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Ann said...

These are all good ideas and now I want to try some, too. And hunt up used clothing. I haven’t found a source here although it’s a big city so there must be several places.

Robin said...

I like the way you have an idea of what you want to start with and just keep working with it until it feels right. I've been wanting to make another wagon wheel quilt and the pattern I chose has really small pieces. I know how to work with really small pieces but I don't think I want to spend the time sewing really small pieces. So, I'm going to come up with my own pattern which is what this blog is all about. BTW, I no longer can post on the blog. I'm not sure why but I can only comment. And, I think Ann's idea for a quilted jacket is a tempting one.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Ambition is good -- I wish you well as you explore those shapes and ideas. I have mine (too many in fact) and am pondering how to prioritize . . .

Janie said...

Great finish and yes planning and ambition go hand in hand don't they?
I like breaking projects into pieces, much easier to organize and digest.
It's an adventure after all.

Mystic Quilter said...

At least you have the ideas together Kaja and they're very good ones I think. I like your thoughts on working further with certain elements in your quilts and would love to see more of your printed words. Coats seem to be "in" I think, I have a pattern in the drawer waiting to be used at some point. We have read that Ann has now embarked on a coat project - it will be interesting to see how we all develop our ideas.

audrey said...

Yes to quilting momentum! I didn't realize how quickly it can be lost until recently. Ughh. Looking forward to seeing more beautifully unique Kaja quilts in the future.:)