11 January 2023

My Biggest "Challenges" for 2023


It took me a while to sort through my "wishful thinking" list of projects to choose the "biggest" ones.

The first (truly a squirrel project) has to be my version of the Lancaster Diamond quilt shown above.

You can read my introductory post on my blog by clicking HERE.

 

After considerable thought, I've decided to go with this scrappy color palette to make my diamonds.

I posted a second time on my blog about my go-forward plan - click HERE to read that one.


Number Two:  A while back I made the decision to go ahead and finish out my series of Dumpster Diving quilts with number twelve - aka Confetti

The color palette inspiration comes from our grandson's stash of Lego bricks.


Here is the initial group of bits and pieces pulled from the resource boxes - these will be die cut to 1.5" strips before being chopped into smaller lengths.

I've narrowed my design choice to a block format akin to the very first DD quilt I made named Willy Nilly.

The end goal is to be able to use all twelve DD quilts for my 2024 calendar that is gifted to family and friends at the end of 2023.

There's a page on my blog dedicated to the DD series - if you are interested, it is HERE.


The third challenge is this - "Inspired by Memphis" for the November 2023 Davies Manor Quilts and Fiber Arts Show.

(I have a vested interest in the success of the show since I'm on the Board for the Davies Manor Association.)


I've found my inspiration and chosen my palette (not my usual brights).  

The dark print at the bottom of the stack will be my backing and the print at the top of the stack is what I think I'll use for binding.

The range of Bella solids will be used to create the body of the quilt - time will tell if I can really turn my idea into reality.

(Much as I'd like to, I will wait to post about this one until after the show happens.) 

* * *

Of course there are plenty of other goals for the year  -- quilt the tops waiting in the closet, finish up a baby and big brother set of quilts for early April delivery, chase a few more squirrels, and continue to USE the stash for a long list of "I really want to make" projects.

Time will tell how any or all of these develop.

4 comments:

Ann said...

These are an interesting set, Julie. I'm glad to see we both work on series. I feel better about mine; although yours show more "growth" or change. Have fun!

Janie said...

I love your plans and inspiration photos, especially the jumble of Lego bricks, exciting!
That should carry you for a while.

Mystic Quilter said...

I always find it amazing that we can find inspiration for our quilts from many different sources - your grandson's lego blocks are a perfect example. It's not necessary to keep to the colour or design of a quilt pattern we are inspired to make, we can, as you are doing with Lancaster Diamond, put our own spin on it. I love your forward planning for the year, I'm looking forward to watching your ideas come to fruition.

audrey said...

I really like how varied your goals are. The Lancaster quilt looks very challenging but I'm so curious to see your version in your colors and unique style!