16 January 2023

I don't have big plans

 I'm into a large hand quilting project


And I really want to reduce the number of quilt tops in the closet, I'm down to 14.

So I've tried to put the brakes on as far as starting any new projects.

But, I just can't get a certain pattern out of my mind.

I want to make a wagon wheel quilt with cheddar, black, and prints.  I don't know exactly what I want but I found this pattern in an old magazine of my MILs from 1984.


I picked out a few fabrics and made plastic templates from the pattern.



The pieces are rather small DON'T YOU THINK?  I really don't know if I want to go to this much work.  I figured I would try one block and then decide what my options  are.




I made the center.  It was pretty straight forward and went together well.  The points and seam allowances are quite accurate and it was fun to put together.




And then I cut out enough wedges for one block.  44 to be exact.  I can only work on it a little bit of time each day so you're looking at a over a week of work.  That is a bit discouraging in and of itself.



Today I was able to sew two quarter arcs together  to get an idea of how this is going to look.  The cutting out is quite tedious but it sews up quickly.

I hope to be able to work on it more this week and then decide if I want the background pieces to be cut out of black, cheddar, or red.

I really think I probably want something more free spirited and fun to sew.  Maybe something with 8 or 10 wedges and a smaller block.  This block finishes at 14".  

On another journey . . . 

Robin of I LIke To Create.


5 comments:

Ann said...

I've been wanting to make a Wagon Wheel for years. Let's do it!

Nancy said...

I really like the look of the wedges before they are stitched, Robin. I like them wider. Maybe your idea of fewer and wider wedges is a way to go. Your star for the center is beautiful.
I was looking at Lizzy's quilt again the other day and noticed that there are not the same number of wedges in each block. Maybe that's the free-spirited look you want?
I've been thinking of making a wagon wheel quilt for a few years. Maybe this will be the year. I'd have to find a simple pattern. (The quilt in this post --https://joyforgrace.blogspot.com/2021/05/block-names-layout-names-non-quilting.html-- is what made me think of wagon wheel quilts, though that one is not a true wagon wheel.)

Kaja said...

I too really like the idea of a Wagon Wheel and I really like your colour choices. I used not to like any version of yellow/orange much but not they are colours that sneak into loads of my quilts and the more I use them, the more I love them.

I'm glad to see you are able to post again.

Janie said...

I like your quarter arcs and your hand quilting is gorgeous, good for you!

audrey said...

Love the wagon wheel design! I've been wanting to do one for awhile now too! Might have to squeeze one into the project lists!