07 July 2021

Symmetry (or Not) Challenge Response



I posted about my orphan block stash here.

Since then those blocks have not been quiet 
about remaining in their project box.

\


Once I had LUDIC clipped for webbing
leaving the design wall empty again,
I pulled out all of the orphans.

Hmmmmm . . . 




Almost immediately I removed the orange blocks
left behind after piecing the top for 
October's kitchen table quilt (Trick or Treat).

They have been passed along to another maker.

I also decided that I will NOT be using 
black and white prints as filler.

(I've been watching Agilejack and lots of her blog followers
making Frankenbags and thought Anne's b-w ideas 
might work with my stash of orphans)




Instead I have pulled out several unused 
2.5" strips and a few more pieces 
of quilt back trimmings.

This mixture definitely has possibilities.

Next step will be to measure the various blocks,
count the scrappy rectangles and misc. HSTs,
add in the extra HSTs from Ludic, and
play around with graph paper and layout ideas.

Clearly I will be focusing on the 
ASYMMETRICAL
aspect of the new Symmetry challenge.

I have named this project Pandemonium.
(meaning 'a wild uproar')

* * *

This post was previously shared on my blog,
but I'm also adding it here to enhance the
AHIQ conversation.


4 comments:

Ann said...

An excellent way to work asymmetrically. You have a good collection of leftover blocks. Extending the play by creating borders and connections will be even better. Have fun.

Janie said...

There's something very appealing in that mix of blocks. It's fun to imagine just how they might come together.

Mystic Quilter said...

I do agree with the removal of the burnt orange blocks Julie, I can see you have a real assortment of pieces to work with and room for more exciting filler ideas. Off to read you blog now in case you have updated.

Kaja said...

Orphan blocks make an excellent starting point for this challenge - great thinking! It will be fun to watch you figure this out.