13 July 2021

Asymmetrical symetrical

Asymmetry is one of the possible characteristics of modern quilts as listed by the Modern Quilt Guild. I find it an interesting, and definitely challenging, topic.

Asymmetrical symmetrical I take to mean symmetrical blocks arranged asymmetrically, as opposed to the symmetrical arrangement of asymmetrical blocks. I have several to date. Click on the caption under each photo to go to the original post.

Rainbow bears is the least asymmetrical arrangement of the lot:

Rainbow Bears' Square Dance  
 The blocks are identical in shape and the arrangement is barely asymmetrical.

In "Star light, Star dark" each rectangular block contains the same units, but the blocks are arranged differently within the grid. By turning the blocks the arrangement is somewhat asymmetrical, but because the blocks are rectangular they could only be turned through 180 degrees, while 90 would have given more variety.

Star Light, Star Dark
 

 Modern Maples is an asymmetrical arrangement of a totally symmetrical block.

Modern maples
 

On the other hand, "Over the Hills and Far Away" is one asymmetrical block.

Over the Hills and Far Away

While asymmetry creates a dynamic in a quilt, it would appear that too much can become chaos, and is aesthetically less pleasing. My wonky log cabin table runner, which I'm still hand-quilting, is not to everyone's taste, and is in fact considered not to be patchwork at all! (??) 

 

I could have trimmed the blocks to squares, added sashing to make them symmetrical and to make the grid more obvious, but I didn't. Would that have been more pleasing to the eye? Personally I think that would have been boring, but that's just my opinion, and I didn't try it. The aesthetic is always personal taste.

I am intrigued by this challenge and am looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with. I have several ideas, I just hope I have enough time to follow them through!

Keep safe and healthy, 

Happy sewing, 

Marly.

5 comments:

Ann said...

What a thoughtful discussion you've written, Marly. Personally, asymmetry is difficult for me although I probably have some that are slightly asymmetrical. Thanks.

Janie said...

Your projects are wonderful, good for you. You branch out with color and design.
I think your table runner is superb. One person's 'chaos' is another person's happy place.
and I don't see your table runner as chaotic at all, You have a theme with your design and color choices and you are repeating the theme
with interesting variations, clever!

Marly said...

Thank you both for your comments. I didn't grow up with quilts, so never had an idea of the "traditional".

Kaja said...

Thank you for taking the time to put this great post together. I loved seeing your quilts but also enjoyed reading the discussion - it is interesting to think about the possibilities for symmetrical blocks arranged in an asymmetrical setting. For the record, I'm with Janie on your table runner - I love it.

Marly said...

Thank you Kaya. I just put some ideas together, but I'm still trying to work out how these concepts affect what we do. I have never consciously set out to create something either symmetrically or asymmetrically; they just developed that way. I had never thought much about it until just recently. You've chosen a good challenge.