18 May 2021

Tulip Mania, completed top

This is on my blog, of course, so I thought I would just do a recap here of how it relates to  Ann's original challenge.  I wanted to keep as many elements of her original quilt as I could, whilst doing my own thing.  I certainly went all around the houses to get there, but  I have tulips and they are string-pieced and I have string blocks.  I also have, more or less a medallion layout; it may not look especially like a medallion at first glance, but it was constructed in rounds, working out for the centre.  
Of course I could have abandoned any of these elements along the way and would have done, if necessary, but I like that I didn't have to.  In fact, I didn't start with a medallion layout but using the tulips in a block as a central starting point was a key moment in figuring out how this was going to work.  

This has been a big old headache a lot of the time, but it has been a good exercise for me to have to think more about value and the way it relates to colour, and about the ways that I can get rhythm and movement into a piece.  Definitely not time wasted, then, but I am heartily relieved to get it to a point I am happy with! 

11 comments:

Mary Marcotte said...

What a great finish, Kaja! I love how the colors work with the blue background. That and the medallion were the best ideas.
I know you struggled but it seems you broke your start-to-finish record record. I love this quilt!

Janie said...

Congratulations on your top finish, a lot of design work went into that!
I think you have a good balance there. The blue does a great job framing and making the lighter medallion and smaller blocks appear to float.

Sharon Leahy said...

Nice work, woman, fierce and free!!! Very very creative!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Marly said...

This is truly beautiful! I admire your perseverance in continuing with the pieces, while totally rethinking the design. The blue has brought calm to the whole without upsetting the dynamic. Congratulations!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Ann said...

What a great top. I love how you took the ideas and made them your own. The asymmetry and the colors are perfect.

Kaja said...

Thanks for all your kind comments!

Angie in SoCal said...

What an improv use of the elements of Ann's challenge. I like it! Congrats, Kaja.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your quilt!! Smashing interpretation of the prompt from Ann.