21 October 2019

The Beginning of Something

This is the first part of my interpretation of a U&U quilt that caught my fancy. It's also my response to the 'flower' prompt given out earlier in the year. For some reason, this has been an especially difficult challenge to meet.
The first section completed
After thinking about it for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that the reason for that is very simple. I make a lot of flower quilts and so thinking up new flower ideas is something that happens around here on a regular basis! In my head, a challenge should take me out on a limb somewhere uncomfortable and definitely somewhere outside of my normal comfort zone! Regardless, I have kept after it and finally came up with the idea to try an interpretation of a old scrappy 'make-do' sort of quilt and incorporate a 'difficult' flower element into the quilt. 
Add caption
The flower will be the Lemoyne start shape in the far right bottom corner of the quilt. It's a pattern that might be easy for you to piece, but has always caused me no end of troubles. Plus, this time I shall be trying to re-imagine it as a flower! lol  

Yep, it's an idea that's been simmering for a couple months and not once have I soured on it. We shall see where it ends up, but for now, I'm very happy to have it started and now be fully 'committed' to moving on with the adventure. Points for starting out with a floral fabric. That has to count for something! You can read more about the making of this first section over at my blog if you'd like.

6 comments:

Mary Marcotte said...

I like the way you think. It's not enough to take a challenge but make it difficult for yourself as well. My mother used to say, "If you shoot yourself in the foot, don't come crying to me." That doesn't really apply here except that your post made me think of her many warnings to not make things more difficult. Except my mother had eight children which seems to negate all warnings, ever. And that does apply, push yourself outside your comfort zone and let's see where it takes you. Hmm, now I have to google why it's called the Lemoyne star.

Ann said...

How smart of you to combine a couple of challenges and this one is certainly a challenge. I'm very impressed with how you're interpreting all these elements.

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your thinking/process. That's a great start, defining 'what informs you' as Karen Ruane contemporary embroidery artist likes to say.
Exciting fun.

audrey said...

Thank you! I do enjoy a challenge and the U&U book is a wonderful place to jump off.:)

O'Quilts said...

I think it is quite creative

Kaja said...

I like your thinking too!