10 August 2019

Red as a Neutral

I completed the top for the "Red as Neutral" challenge.





 It is a pretty intensely colored quilt, almost oppressively so.

 I love the applique center that immediately grabs your attention.

 Then your eye examines the outer blocks individually.  The placement of the blocks was tricky and while it might look like I've put blocks together that have the same fabric, my son and I went over and over the placement and this is the best.  One reason is because the dark blocks have to be separated (sounds like I'm talking about my little children years ago) and then the stripes can't be together, and on and on.

After checking out the blocks and almost as an afterthought, you see the twinkle of the little flying geese units (that make me smile) and then accenting border.

It is about 72" square.  A good size to display during the Christmas season.

I'm not sure how It will be quilted.  Any ideas?

Robin


3 comments:

Janie said...

Nice finish and composition. I think it will be an exciting Christmas quilt.
And the center medallion is beautiful.

Ann said...

What a beautiful quilt top, Robin. Your center applique is well designed and I like Blind Man's Fancy around it, especially with those stripes.
I made a much simpler red and green string quilt years ago and found the values are very similar - which made it look a bit wild. Your whites settle them down nicely.
Enjoy the quilting. My only suggestion would be to SID the narrow inner borders so they don't wave.

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations on the finished top, not surprised you love the applique centre, it certainly is stunning!
I love the whole quilt and I hope you'll keep us u[dated with the quilting.