29 July 2019

Thinking about flowers

I have a plan for this, even if I have nowhere to start working on it.  

First steps,  I pulled out all my flower-y fabrics and washed them.  I never used to bother but now they are always going to end up in a quilt with old shirts, so it makes sense.
I realised as I was sorting how much smaller my stash has become since I switched to my current way of working. I knew I was buying less yardage but this brought it home.  I wondered briefly if eventually I would stop buying quilting fabrics altogether but I think it's unlikely (though if the pound continues to plummet...; I like the mix of shirts and stash and how it works for me.

Where, you might ask, is the shirty part of this plan?  The happy answer (and one I've never been able to use before) was that it was sitting in a box waiting  for inspiration to strike. I started these little butterflies a year or two ago in a half-hearted leader and ender-y sort of way.  I liked them, but ran out of steam before they amounted to anything interesting.
Now they are out of their box and I am hoping that they will come together nicely with some of my flower-y bits.  It's a start at least. 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice beginning--love that combo of flowery and shirts...hugs, Julierose

audrey said...

Wonderful to think about incorporating the older project into the new. Love that sort of challenge! I've had a couple ideas to consider, but can't quite focus in on just the one yet. Will keep mulling it over. I do love flower quilts!

Lisa J. said...

And a nice start it is.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

This is looking interesting! Were you even slightly tempted to reverse this, using flowery bigger pieces with smaller shirt 'butterfly' triangles? {just curious!}

Robin said...

Oh, I love those little butterflies. So appropriate for a flower garden.

Janie said...

Lots of possibilities, looks like you're on a roll.
That is a good feeling to use something stashed away for a while.
The red Wonderland floral I'm using in my Alice block was stashed away for a while. I'd bought it on sale and then didn't know what to do with it.

Carli The Quilter said...

Love the upcycling, beautiful soft warm looking quilt.

Mary Marcotte said...

How fun...flowers and butterflies and the blue sky! Perfect start anyway.

Mystic Quilter said...

Missed reading this post Kaja, sorry! I'm looking forward to your mix of the old and the new, you have a collection of lovely prints, I love the deep pink floral down at the bottom of your photo.