16 January 2019

RED is my new neutral
























Making a start on this today. I'm joining in with Sujata @therootconnection making a quilt from the book #unconventionalandunexpected. Sujata has kindly drafted patterns and instructions for the 'overlapping octagons' quilt, but I have altered mine a little . . . couldn't bear the thought of making 2" quarter square triangles!

I'm using scrappy bits of Amy Butler fabrics and then I tried a few options for the bigger blocks. I almost went with a variety of plaids, but then suddenly I tossed in a red solid . . . and it looked great, so I'm teaming up the prints with assorted red fabrics from my stash.
I wondered about how to get the octagon effect to show more. Things seemed a little lost with the four quarter square triangle blocks, so I made up a couple of simple HST blocks too and plan to throw a few more in now & then to lead the eye.

I'm not too sure yet where this is going yet, it's all quite mix-and-don't-match right now. However, I'm enjoying making this quilt in a contemporary colour way, it's much brighter than the vintage version. And I guess it fits the brief for both the uanduqal and the recent adhoc: improvquilts challenge too of using RED as a neutral..

3 comments:

Robin said...

Boy, the red makes everything look so vibrant. It's going to be a fun quilt to put together. Nice job!

Kaja said...

I love the way the reds work with your mix of blue fabrics (and how clever to kill two birds with one quilt, so to speak).

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm doubling up here leaving a comment on your blog and here also. Nice idea to mix the solid red with gingham squares, you're racing along with this.