13 November 2018

Years Eleven and Twelve (2014 -2015)



In early 2014 I created this wall quilt named
using leftover liberated free pieced letters from Lynne.

It was juried into a number of AQS shows
and now hangs on the wall in my design studio.




Using more leftover orphans and orts from Lynne
and free pieced words from Lee Ann aka Nifty Quilts,
I created my quilt named What Matters Most.

This photo was taken in New Hampshire

The quilt would later travel with me to Chattanooga
for a photo op with Lee Ann at the AQS show.


2014 was also the year of the three Celebrations quilts
made for our nephews and their families.

(Warning -this is what happens when you purchase
 TOO MUCH Laurel Burch holiday fabric . . . )



And as 2014 came to a close,
my sister "purchased" three of my quilts 
and Christmas gifted them to her in-laws.

Left to right:




During 2015 I continued to make quilts 

made from her Peppermint Pinwheels design.




This is Midtown Vibe made for our younger son's bed
using her Rail Fence design.




And this is Azaleas in Bloom 
made with a saree and silks brought from Asia by our DIL 
using her Windmills / Winter designs.




When our oldest nephew and wife 
learned their third child would be a girl,
they requested a very pink quilt.

Girly Girl was the result.

Inspired by Teresa Rawson's 
X Marks the Block tutorial.
(permanent link in the sidebar)



And during 2015, I finished the six quilts
started during 2014, my first year with 
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

This is Arrowheads.




And this is Fruit Loops -
which has recently been gifted
to my brother-in-law.













I'll be teaching a week long class for this one
in September 2019




And Happy Happy Joy Joy aka HHJJ.

Another interpretation using 
Teresa's X Marks the Block design.

* * *

I'm very glad I chose this retrospective
approach to the Maps and Mapping challenge
instead of designing and piecing another quilt.

It has been most interesting
to navigate through my own quilting journey.

And there are still three more years
to share before reaching the present day.



3 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

More beauties from your years of making quilts, I do enjoy seeing these Mapping posts from you.
I am pleased that Create with Abandon hangs in your studio, perfect sentiment!! Same goes for Family and Friends. Thanks so much for sharing these with us again.

audrey said...

I love the Create With Abandon quilt especially. I bet it has been fascinating to go through your quilting years from this viewpoint. Hindsight is a tool of observance!

Kaja said...

More eye candy, Julie. I'd be interested to know, when you get to the end, what your overall reflections on the reviewing process are.