30 October 2018

Improv Block Design Experiments, 'Uneven Thirds'

Finished 'coaster' blocks on the left. Six improv blocks sewn together for table topper.

'Uneven Thirds' table topper turned vertically.



Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.
The temperatures are cooler this week, staying around the 70's.

This week I worked on experiments. I was in an experimental mood!
I made some improv small blocks a while ago and then added to the number last week. At first I was going to turn them all into coasters or mug rugs but then I thought some would look good sewn together for a table topper to go with the coasters.

I designed the first block by doodling in my sketch book. I wanted a block divided in uneven thirds, vertically.
And so I pieced it together from the sketch, in a liberated manner. Three vertical strips, first from the left, from the top; orange, lt. grey, turquoise. The middle strip, yellow green, Kona cotton solid, Wasabi. And the last strip on the right, turquoise, egg shell, set of three colors and dark grey. It was fun to stay within the 'boundaries' and yet keep hold of liberated piecing.

That's last week's experiments, from the rancho. 
Where I'm remembering to be thankful.

Stop in to visit me @ crazyvictoriana.blogspot.com. 
I'll be by to visit you soon and catch up on your adventures.

5 comments:

Ann said...

These are such lovely colors together I'm glad you are using them in a topper. Great way to play.

Robin said...

I really like your combination of colors. The blocks have an evenness to them catch my eye when they are placed together.

Carli The Quilter said...

Beautiful pop of color in these lovely table runners and mats. These blocks are so welcome on a rainy day morning.

Janie said...

Thanks, Caroline, yes, I use colors on purpose for the cheerful vibes.

Kaja said...

Your colours are always beautiful.