18 August 2018

Year One - Mapping My Quilting Journey



Instead of making a new quilt for the current challenge,
I have challenged myself to travel back 
to the beginning of my personal quilting journey 
and document  a few key quilts from each year 
along with my rationale for choosing each of them.

I'm curious to see how my process has evolved.

Even after writing a post for this first year,
I can see that it will be an interesting approach
if for no other reason than to see how
my photography has changed through the years.


Elsie's Aprons - 2004 - quilted by Bonnie Hunter

This was the first of what would be several
what I have come to call Rescue Quilts.

The original dresden plate quilt was made
by my maternal grandmother, Elsie.

Through the years, her muslin foundation 
and backing had become thin and stained 
so I carefully unstitched the dresden circles
in order to hand appliqué them 
onto new background fabrics.

You can read more of the quilt's story HERE.

This project was the first time I had worked 
with clearly defined limitations.
(the number of plates and the fact that 
 the quilt shop in question was too far away
to visit for alternate background colors)

As time progressed, I would learn
that limitations like these
make me work more creatively.


First Star to the Right - 2004 - quilted by Chris Ballard

First Star was created during a class
at one of our local quilt shops.

The spiral lone star from Jan Krentz's book
was intimidating to say the least.

You can read the quilt's full story HERE.

I later made one more lone star 
and came to terms with the fact that
these are not my favorite kind of quilts to make.


Pompeii - 2004 - quilted by Chris Ballard

Pompeii was made for our younger son
as a Christmas gift.

You can read the story of this quilt HERE.

It was gratifying to see how much
this particular quilt meant to my son -
an early lesson in the power of quilts.


Decadent Dreaming - 2004 - quilted by Bonnie Hunter

Decadent Dreaming was made for 
our older son and his soon-to-be-fiancee
as their Christmas gift.

You can see more 2004 photos of the full quilt
and read its story HERE.

I used my notes from
but managed to turn things around
creating an entirely new block design.

And thus I discovered that a mistake
was nothing but a design opportunity.

* * *

By the end of my first year,
I had made thirteen quilts,
six of which were gifted
 to family and friends.

I didn't know it then
but the making and gifting of quilts
would become an important part of my process.

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

audrey said...

Such a great idea. I am really enjoying this walk back through your quilting years! It's always so fascinating to see where a persons 'style' starts showing up and at what part they branch out yet again!:)

Carli The Quilter said...

I see your walk through mapping challenge.Me too. My mapping challenge is coming along.gorgeous quilts and you just started a year ago?

Mystic Quilter said...

So very interesting Julie to go back in time and map your quilts year by year. You were very brave indeed to take on the spiral lone star and whilst you say these were not your favourite kind of quilts to make I love the colours you used in the one you've shown us, so very effective.

Ann said...

A great way to map quilting and fun to read. You are a champ to reset your grandmother's Dresden Plates. We had loads of family quilts but most are pieced. Oddly, the applique quilts are the only ones still in useable shape.
I'm inspired by your unique take on the maps invitation. Thanks, Julie.

Kaja said...

It's so interesting to look at where you started and I find myself taking mental notes in terms of how you evolved to where you are now. I bet this is an interesting exercise for you as well as your readers.

Carli The Quilter said...

I am realizing now, that you didn't start a year ago, but many moons ago. But love your list and so admire how you've kept such good record of each of them. That is something I need to do better. Any ideas?