28 August 2018

Map Quilts at One Month

I've been thinking about map quilts this month. Actually I've thought about maps for years. As a geologist I created maps and cross sections, working to illuminate topography, reservoir limits and potential hazards. My dad loved them, too. We'd collect USGS quadrangle maps for every vacation to locate hiking trails and points of interest. {Our vacations were always in to wilderness.} Then we'd visit AAA for road maps. He had us navigate along the route. These are the kinds of maps that most interest me.

The map quilt project on the wall nags at me to work on it. It blends street and topography maps with photos I took of the area. I hit a snag last year and have let it languish too long. Although I plan to restart this project,  it isn't what I want to explore for the invitation.

Map quilt in progress

Years ago I made a quilt celebrating visits to my sister's house. The background is a pixelation of the final mile to her house. The orange sashing squares represent the flowers on her porch and balcony while the braids are the tire tracks of our journeys. The border is the letter, love, and kisses we send between times. It's the most abstract quilt I've ever made and also encompasses my love for my family. It will always be a favorite but I want to try another style this time.

The Road to My Sister's House

So many people shared their ideas for mapping -  clever, inventive, original. I'm awed by the wonderful versions they are planning but I want to piece geography, concentrate on small geographic areas, explore how much curvature I can sew into a road.

Streets intersected by an angled parkway

I started with this test. More later as I get more energy.

Ann

5 comments:

Robin said...

Fascinating "Road to my Sister's House" quilt. I bet it was fun to make.

Kaja said...

One of the things I like about this challenge is that it seems to be pushing people to new things - techniques, ideas. Hopefully it will result in some fascinating quilts.

Ann said...

It was an exciting quilt. Deciding how to interpret different aspects of our trips with the fabrics I had was great fun, Robin.
And yes, Kaja, I had my doubts about this challenge because it's so different but people are springboarding to new techniques. The range of ideas is amazing.

Carli The Quilter said...

Great quilt " Road to my Sister's House. Nice start, energy rebuilding, I like your maps curving idea.

Mary Marcotte said...

Where's my comment? Oh well, I'll try to remember it all.
"Road to My Sister's House" is a sweet reminder of the place where my sisters and I grew up. It's becoming more and more something I want to remember. I've already explored the place! :)
I like your idea of exploring "how much curvature I can sew into a road." It sounds like you are challenging yourself in several ways. This challenge is perfect for looking at maps themselves but also our quilting possibilities. Definitely a two for the price of one!