04 August 2018

The Beginning of My Journey



Perhaps it is because of our younger son's interest
Grace Episcopal Church - Bainbridge
in healing processes such as yoga and meditation,
but it strikes me there are elements within
our current challenge of maps and mapping
beyond the tangible.

I think these elements are what led me 
to choose to map my own journey as a quilt maker
using the quilts that I've made as markers on a timeline.

I'm sure I'll find my path has not been NOT linear
but more like that of a labyrinth -
curving and winding, 
tracing back on itself, and
often re-emerging near where I began.

 AND / OR

The Longleat Hedge Maze in Wiltshire, England © Jason Hawkes/Getty Images

I may find that my journey more closely resembles a maze.

 (This article sheds light on the 
similarities and differences
between labyrinths and mazes. )




Either way, 
THIS is where I started.

My very first top was made 
in a LQS Beginning Machine Piecing 
class in late 2003/early 2004.

I learned how to use a rotary cutter and mat,
how to handle quilting rulers,
how to chain piece, and
how to believe in my desire/ability to make.

(I also learned I'm not fond of Y-seams)




Just as the first sampler quilt top was completed,
DH and I spent our first week at 
where he took a week-long woodturning class
(you can see where that took him HERE
and I took a week-long quilting class
with a supply list that included these words:

"Bring 80 light 9" squares and 80 dark 9" squares" 

Those words struck terror into my heart.

I had no stash.

How could I come up with that many different squares?

I don't remember just how many 
half-yards the LQS owner sold me,
but I took my motley assortment of squares to the class
and came home with the top for this still-a-favorite quilt.

A few of the fabrics in the quilt are mine 
but most are those of the others in the class
due to the creative way the instructor had us
swap fabrics to achieve a scrappy mix
beyond what any of us could have 
created on our own.

My greatest take-away from that week?

Scrappy quilt are my favorites.

The second greatest take-away?

Documenting our quilts involves more than
dates and dollars and design information.

It also involves the 'why' behind our choices.



I will be forever grateful to Patty and Catherine, 
my first two instructors,
for providing me with a solid foundation,
showing me there were endless possibilities,
and sharing their deep joy of process.






4 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds like an interesting idea for your map challenge. It will be fun to watch how your quilt develops. I know what you mean about not having a stash. Early in my own quilt making history, I made a leaf quilt where every leaf was supposed to be a different color or shade. My stash grew very fast.

Kaja said...

It's so interesting to see where you started, Julie. I guess we all start without a stash, though it's hard to imagine now. I'll look forward to following your journey in future posts.

Ann said...

Your history is interesting and will make a unique mapping - otonly becauseyou are documenting your journey but also because you will bring such a singular voice.
I had quite a few clothing scraps when I started quilting. Find memories.

Carli The Quilter said...

I love the historic potential of this challenge and you've got me thinking. Thanks for sharing your ideas in progress.
Caroline