07 July 2018

Greetings Improv Quilters!

I've really been enjoying all the posts here, and finally have one of my own to contribute. Though I have been missing from the blogosphere, I have been hovering in the wings and I'm still quilting. And though I'm not doing a lot of "utility" quilting, I am still doing a fair amount of improv.

I do realize that this page is titled "Improvisational Utility Quilts", and though I still do the occasional utility piece, I am primarily focused on making art quilts these days. And, although I have been exploring a variety of different methods of making art quilts, I continue to return to pieced construction simply because I enjoy sitting at a sewing machine and stitching. I am equally happy sewing HSTs and piecing from patterns as I am doing improv, though the improv has the added quality of unexpected results which makes it so compelling. 

Hopefully, this new iteration of AHIQ will motivate me to actually finish my Chinese Coins quilt which was the last challenge I actively participated in here.

In the mean time I am sharing a small art quilt that I just completed, that was definitely made in an improvisational fashion, and which I enjoyed making very much. I've written all about this quilt in more detail on my own blog here.

Without further ado, I give you Sedimental Journey, 18" x 18" (2018).


Looking forward to future contributions from all of you. 

Sue Kelly (aka Sizzlewaggle)

5 comments:

Janie said...

Lovely! This looks exciting.
I'll visit your blog to see more.
I've had company and been super busy around here.
Haven't had a lot of time to blog around.

Kaja said...

Lovely to find a post from you, Sue. This piece is very striking: I really like the colours a lot, especially the slate-y blues in the mix, and the balance of very fine strips with bigger areas. Off to check out your blog now.

Ann said...

I'm so glad you're sharing your work on your blog and here again, Sue. I've missed you and won't join Facebook so don't get to follow work there.
This is so interesting. I read your original post, too. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh this is a fantastic improv art quilt Sue, I love it!! Perfect title and fabrics. I look forward to seeing your Chinese Coins. Pleased to see you're back blogging again.

audrey said...

This looks so incredible! I really enjoy how you use the fabric print to create a deeper level of interest. Beautiful work!