07 July 2018

everything is going according to NO plan

This is one quilt that had a mind of it's own all. the. way. through. I started out with one single thought - that I wanted a piece of bold floral in the middle, and I would work outwards from there. I made it up as I went along, hoping each additional border went on ok. 

Now I must admit, I have found 'improv' challenging, but I keep coming back for another go, over & over. And in the end, everything went really well according to NO plan with this quilt. That's improv I guess, yes?


A little while ago I had this quilt machine quilted by Sandy Mayo in an all-over floral pattern. The centre block is a lovely 'Outback Wife' fabric and as I was adding on the binding this afternoon . . .


. . . I suddenly remembered that I was going to add a little extra something to the centre. So for my 'slow stitching' today, I gave Kantha style stitching a go, the simplest stitch in the book! It's a bit hard to capture in a photo but here's a few pics to give you an idea of the texture. 







I came across this comment recently from here -
"Modern quilting is NOT just about clean lines, solid fabrics and negative space! 
It also embraces gorgeous modern prints and is a mindset which embraces ancient arts 
such as #kanthastitching with modern fabrics!" 

Not sure what the thinking is about the 'modern debate' these days . . I just make what I love making. And I have to say, I'm hooked on kantha stitching and I can see just a little more improv happening around here in the future! Love to hear your thoughts too, Linda from kokaquilts

9 comments:

O'Quilts said...

HI Linda....I think this is my favorite kind of quilting...just go as you want..making it up...great job!

Sue said...

I love the haphazard look of your piece and I wish I could see it in person. I am sure that the kantha stitching does something to the texture that is hard to convey in photos. Well done!

Kaja said...

That's an interesting conversation you linked to. I like 'contemporary quilting' just because the word modern seems to cause so much disagreement and definitions can be narrow. But whatever you call it, I like your combination of kantha stitching and rich pattern a lot.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Hi Sue K., thanks for your comment. Well, improv is certainly a wee challenge for me, I’m more of a pattern follower than a pattern maker! Kantha stitching seems to be experiencing a resurgence in popularity lately. I'm enjoying stitching those little stitches! Linda

Ann said...

I like your hand stitching in the center because it adds interesting texture. I also enjoy the borders of partial blocks and scraps and think you will enjoy using it. It's fun to see how people improvise.

Mystic Quilter said...

Since reading your post on your blog earlier I've been looking closely at the mix of fabrics you have here, they all blend together beautifully. I have to say again how much I love the comment you've posted re kantha stitching and also checking out the link.

audrey said...

Kantha stitching is so compelling as additional texture. I just love the happy scrappy vibe to this particular quilt!

Janie said...

Beautiful work, Linda.
I think there are some 'cliquey' type people who want to control
the definition of modern quilting for their own reasons. Such as,
'It's my club and here are the rules'. Oh well.
Back to the real world.
Improvise definition, 'to compose or deliver without preparation.'
Modern defined, 'Relating to the present and recent time.'
So I think you have improvised and pieced a wonderful modern quilt Linda!
Keep it up!

Carli The Quilter said...

I love the tenderness and femenine quality's of this top. Keep going and I like your kantha stitching. I'm a lover of all things #kanthastitching