22 March 2023

Talking point for March

This is a very late post and probably more photos than I had intended but here goes. 

Books of course, of which I really have too many,  the natural world and my garden are  a source of inspiration, sometimes a light bulb moment occurs when least expected and not always from a book, memories of childhood and family play a great part in my quilt making, also my journey by sea in 1962
through Suez to NZ from the UK and the return journey one year later via Panama have resulted in quilts.

The book below by Kaffe Fassett is one of the best for colour. His home and studios plus his numerous collections of pottery, fabrics and many others are shown in detail with a little history.

Here is one of my favourites below,  the dining room full of rich, deep colour.


A recent purchase was a book by Jessica Wheelahan - Improvisational Contemporary Quilts,  a book of splendid photographs along with patterns for the different quilts, all are very colourful


this particular quilt I'm showing below is a riot of colour, a real mix!


Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston collaborated on two splendid books covering techniques,  patterns and of course going into overdrive on the colour, I love the way they both went ahead and did their own thing, not keeping to the conventional.


Truly a new take below on the traditional house block!


Next is Quilting With A Modern Slant, the title says it all, perhaps this would be available in your local library, lots of familiar names are included in this book.



I made mention of the natural world as a source of inspiration, one particular book on this subject is Bali Style. In 1993 I had two trips up to Jakarta, the first was a one week stay, the second for three weeks. My husband was working on a project from New Zealand which involved visits to Indonesia. I fell in love with the architecture of the traditional buildings, carvings, batiks and the rice fields  -  perfect for using in a quilt design. My love of green really took off when I was up there.



I hope you've enjoyed a quick peek at some of the sources of inspiration for my quilts.

3 comments:

Kaja said...

What a great range of books, Maureen, including a couple I haven't seen before. I love Jessica Wheelahan so will check her book out. I'm a bit envious of your trips to Jakarta!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am remiss in not adding my post to this topic - MUST get that done soon! Gwen and Freddy are huge influencers of my quilting journey as is KF. And Mother Nature - check, check, and double check. GREAT post.

audrey said...

I want the Wheelahon book but just haven't broke down and bought it yet. And of course, Gwen and Freddy have given me many, many good days of quilty inspiration!