01 January 2022

New year, new challenge

 That's right: it's 2022 and it's time for our next challenge. 

I've been around the houses a bit on this one.  Had an idea, discarded it.  Had another idea - it was okay, but wasn't really something I wanted to try, which didn't feel quite in the spirit of things.  I have considered both block-based challenges and one or two that, like the symmetry/asymmetry one, might push us to think about our approaches in a more general way.  Nothing has quite floated my boat and it it's not doing it for me, that's not the greatest of starts, is it?

But to get to the point, after all that beating around the quilty bush, I am setting a challenge I am calling 'pick a colour'.  I have a pinterest board where I save things just because they have colour combinations I love.  It has everything from buildings to landscapes to spools of thread.  

I save them but then they just sit there and I'm guessing I'm not the only person who does that.  I even have, saved in a notebook, written descriptions of colour palettes, from other peoples quilts, from nature (and yes, my family do laugh at me when I sit there trying to recall all the colours I saw at the bottom of a rockpool).  

So I am asking you to pick a colour palette, no limits or restrictions on how many, or how few shades it includes.  Maybe you could try a colour you wouldn't normally think of, or throw an oddball into the mix.  Maybe you think that's a hideous option and you want to use 57 shades of blue.  Whatever you want is okay, but if possible, share an inspiration picture or description, so we can have the fun of seeing where it leads you.  




6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love it! I work this way quite often and have two quilt projects in various stages of design/making that I will share later in the week. Happy New Year to all.

Janie said...

'Pick a color palette', yes, great fun! I think I have something started for that!
Happy New Year!

audrey said...

Great idea! I love working from the foundation of color first!

Cathy said...

Funny. The other day I was watching a Gardener's World special and one of the presenters (Arit Anderson is her name I think) was dressed in lime green and orange. Although I like most colors those are the two colors I would have to say I would list last as colors I use or would ever in a million years wear. But, wow, it was a striking combination of colors and I even said to my husband -- I should make a quilt in those colors. "Ok", he said. The giant and very old topiaries in the garden she was visiting were awesome too.

Mystic Quilter said...

A great start to 2022! Pick a Colour is an exciting project, the options are limitless of course an I'm looking forward to taking part in this one.

Mary Marcotte said...

Choosing colors is one of my favorite parts of quilting. All those possibilities! And my only restriction: shop my stash.
I'm going to check out everyone's palettes and play around with some Pinterest ideas.
Oh, the possibilities!