07 January 2022

Color Palette Challenge - So Many Options

 



The newest AHIQ challenge involves 
choosing a color palette.

I looked back through my previous quilts
and some of my pending projects since
I love working from an inspiration image/idea.




The fabric pull above was inspired by 
this much-loved photo of my grandson.




This is a fabric pull for a possible project
that I have named Sapphire.




It was inspired by this photo of Little Man.




This free pieced barn quilt
hangs in our foyer.

(one of the quilts made when I
was doing trunk shows for my book)




It was inspired by this photo
taken as I drove home from St. Louis.




I tore this ad out of a magazine
because the combination of textures
and colors caught my eye.




This was the first of three quilts
inspired by that image.




These are the other two that now
 live with my sister and her husband.

(clearly I cut way too many HSTs)




The palette for Dumpster Diving 10 - Do Tell . . .



. . . was inspired by this idea.




This is Namaste - made for our younger son's 40th birthday.



It was inspired by this photo from a street festival.




I made Happy Strings during a 
PINK and ORANGE challenge with my friend Lynne.




This glorious iris from a gardening catalog
had a strong influence on my color palette.




This is The Kitchen Door quilt.




When I was painting our front doors red,
I shared this photo on Instagram (not there any longer)
and a friend commented that it should be a quilt.

I agreed with her.


* * *

With all of that said/shown,
I'm still pondering how I want to approach
this new challenge . . .

All in good time.


9 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

You certainly know how to work from an inspirational photo! Really swell interpretations, Julie!

Robin said...

I really enjoyed seeing the photos and the quilts that were inspired by them. You've done some amazing work (and had lots of quilty fun too).

audrey said...

The barn quilt is wonderful! You are obviously in your element working from an image.:)

Janie said...

Exciting fun with color! Your three blue and brown HST quilts are lovely!

Doris Perlhuhn said...

I´m impressed!!! That gives me a lot of ideas thanks a lot. Your quilts and photos are wonderful.

QuiltGranma said...

Whatever you create, it will be lovely!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a colour filled post from you Julie. I think quilters can find colour inspiration from so any sources, you certainly have with these examples here. Your fabric pull for the challenge is so, so perfect as is the inspiration photo of your grandson having fun on the sand.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those fabrics are sure to make an awesome ocean-inspired quilt, Julie! I will look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Mary Marcotte said...

First, I have your book. I made a couple of raw-edge applique barn quilts eons ago and HAD to have it. Of course, they are completely different techniques, but still, barns!
Photos definitely work as your inspiration. I'm just cruising through all the posts trying to figure out my first steps.