20 July 2021

50 shades of pink

*Edit: photo updated, scroll down to see

Thank you for all the feedback on my last couple of posts,
seems like lots of you are enjoying my 50 shades of pink
💕

 
- next batch of crumb blocks

- my focus fabric 

I've been busy making more crumb blocks this week for my present pink project, the 'predictable' quilt, {pattern from @sunspellwho encourages you to put your own spin on her design}. It's all made up with HSTs, with the interest lying in the random way the triangles are laid out, giving it a modern vibe.

And I thought I'd combine this project somehow with the recent AHIQ challenge. Kaja from sewslowly discussed our various preferences to working asymmetrically or symmetrically with our quilts. Her new challenge is to pick whichever of these is furthest from your comfort zone and see what you can do.
After some research, a few panic moments & a couple of chats online {thanks to both Susan & Julie}, I'm thinking my 'predictable' quilt could be leaning towards being an asymmetrical quilt - it's got that modern asymmetrical composition with the more traditional HST blocks. I'm also planning on adding an asymmetrical border on two sides, shifting the midpoint over to further achieve asymmetry.

Here's a few progress photos of how things are looking down on the 'design floor' . . .





- now this is looking more interesting and exciting!


{wink wink} Still don’t know if I’m on the right track for the challenge, 
but I'm trying not to overthink this too much.
And it's certainly predictably unpredictable!

EDIT
Ever had a picture of a quilt in your mind, 
then as you proceed, you find it's just not happening how you imagined?

Well, after lots of faffing around and with only 4 more blocks to make,
this is finally coming together nicely and making me smile again! 



Love to hear your thoughts on which sort of quilt you prefer to make -
symmetrical? or asymmetrical? 


7 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am enjoying seeing your progress on the quilt. Beautiful fabrics! You're on the right track with the design choices. I lean more towards symmetry but I do try to add some asymmetry to add interest.

Janie said...

Your crumb blocks look great.
The blues and green/yellows, make the various pinks shine. So many possibilities, will stay tuned in for more.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful decision to use multiple border fabrics. This is looking so good!

Ann said...

I like the way your crumb blocks blend with the border print. Very nice. And I wrote more on your blog.
What a great prompt Kaja has presented for us.

Marly said...

The present layout is asymmetrical; it gives the impression of some of the blocks having run off to the left. The irregular spacing of the pinks add to the dynamic. The whole is balanced. What does it look like without a border? Is it more or less asymmetrical?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time & joining in with the symmetrical:asymmetrical conversation.