09 March 2021

Forty-Six - Moving Forward at Last



Suffice it to say that I have spent HOURS and HOURS of time
pondering the seemingly millions of options for completing
the current AHIQ String Pieced Tulips QAL challenge.

I don't do hand appliqué so that route was not an option.

I've made dozens of string quilts including my Dumpster Diving series.

Which left the concept of tulips as the remaining challenge focus for me.




But with my chosen color palette inspired by the glorious images
from January 20, 2021, I was stumped over how to incorporate
all of them into a coherent whole.




So what am I going to do?

1.  Edit my palette.

2.  Honor my own way of doing things as well as the squirrel in me.

3.  Stop pondering and start making.




Step one was to edit my palette.

caused a massive attack of "blank journal page syndrome"
aka utter creative paralysis.

So it has been folded like yardage and put back on the stash shelf.

The colors that struck me the most on Inauguration Day
were those worn by Jill Biden, Kamala Harris, and Amanda Gorman
namely their aqua/teal/turquoise, purple, and that glorious yellow.

So the dark blues, pinks, creams, and reds were returned to the stash shelves.

But with several hundred inspiration images still haunting me,
now what?




Step two involves honoring my inner squirrel.

So I pulled another project from the gestation closet - 
one that featured even more inspiration from this book 
and that project's stack of  aqua/turquoise yardage.

By combining that project's ideas/yardage with Forty Six's challenge
and my own sensibilities, I have finally found my path forward.




I sorted through that box of hastily cut strips,
removing the reds, blues, creams, pinks, and blue violets
leaving only the red violet, yellow, and aqua/turquoise groups.




Step three involves MAKING instead of more thinking.

I will make the tulip centers from these newly-string-pieced yellow slabs.

I will make the left and right tulip petals from
the newly-string-pieced red violet slabs.

The stems and leaves will logically be from the basket of scrappy greens.

All of these will then be machine appliquéd in place.




 I will make my background blocks from this range of yardage - 
meaning those boxes of leftover teal/aqua/turquoise strips in the previous photo
 will go back to the closet for future Etcetera projects.

While any backing choice is still up in the air 
I plan to use this colorful batik for binding.

* * *

I cannot tell you how good it feels to have forward momentum again!



7 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely color choices you've decided on, Julie. I am still dithering around. Finally finished making spiderweb blocks so will be moving to stringing the tulip surrounds (late and slow as per usual:000) .

[And, I am still recuperating from the 2nd Covid shot--low energy right now.]

Looking forward to seeing your blocks come together...hugs stay safe Julierose

sue s said...

Good to see your thoughts as you work on the quilt. I am still making the string blocks and not ready to tackle tulips yet. But I'm only doing this for fun so I'm feeling no pressure. I have no deadline. We'll all get there!

Ann said...

Again, your color choices make a great palette and an even better story memory. So clever of you.

Mary Marcotte said...

I love how you chose colors--the dresses part. The tulip description sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see them.

rondiquilts said...

I love the memories you are incorporating into this quilt. Will be inspiring to follow along on your progress.

Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

audrey said...

Creative paralysis is the pits. Love how you combined two different projects and started moving forward again. It really does feel good to have direction after feeling utterly lost and this looks to be exciting!

Marly said...

You have a great collection of fabrics to choose from. I have been crazily sewing string blocks for the last week while suffering from "creative paralysis" on another project. I thought the distraction would help the ideas to come. Alas, it didn't!