23 January 2020

AHIQ Hourglass Finish

The free-hand hourglass quilt is quilted and bound although it took longer than expected. I plan on baby quilts taking about a week... That's the plan and we always know it can go sideways at any time.

Improv Hourglass quilt 

The hourglasses were cut using Sujata's instructions from Cultural Fusion Quilts - basically cutting small stacks of fabric with scissors. Windmills taught me cut mindfully; curves really decrease the size of the finished block. So these were cut as straight as I could eyeball them. Now I wish they had a bit more arc. {Some people are never satisfied.}

Sometimes improvisation leads us to new combinations. When the aqua and pink fabrics were chosen they seemed to have enough contrast; however, there was none by the time the hourglasses were sewn. It was a mess. Figuring out how to remedy the problem took the rest of my time but white and especially the black added the contrast and grounding.

Personally I like that the blocks are the last thing you see while the border makes the quilt. By adding sashing and the border this quilt did not need all the blocks so there is another in the works. {I wouldn't bother with a repeat except that baby quilts are the perfect place to use leftovers.}

My previous hourglasses used the blocks all over or just in the border but I've never sashed them. And for a change I've completed a prompt in the first month.

Ann

5 comments:

Julierose said...

I personally like how they go in and out--this is a lovely quilt--hugs, Julierose

Robin said...

A very fun quilt and it will give a baby a lot to look at. They say new babies like the black/white contrast. Very nice (and bright) finish.

Quiltdivajulie said...

And what a fabulous finish it is!! Congratulations on solving the various dilemmas that cropped up along the way - what a wonderful quilt (lucky baby)!

Kaja said...

Do you cut with scissors a lot? I like how the level of contrast varies from one group to the next, so in some spots the pink and blue are almost melting together and in other places they're quite distinct.

QuiltGranma said...

So interesting, and so different from MY style. Wow!