23 April 2019

Red, Two Blocks, and Chinese Coins Mashup

The border of the Square Deal is finally done. I hope. After a few months in time out, I changed a few blocks in the outer border to get better definition. Now they move from crips delineation at the bottom left to more diffusion at the top right. {EDIT: I retook and replaced the photo. This one is better but now a bit cooler than real life. Sigh.}

The Square Deal quilt top

The center mixed some Chinese Coins that just didn't make it as a quilt with HSTs in every shade of solid red/peach/pink in the stash. The triangles are all ruler cut although {if I'd been thinking} free-hand might have looked better.

The crosses are Sujata's Lattice design from Cultural Fusion Quilts and they were scissor cut. My crosses widen with each set. The first ones were so narrow that the seams overlap after pressing but the last few are superhighways!

Does that mean I finished three improv invitations at once?
  1. Chinese Coins {because those were the original units for the striped triangles} 
  2. Two Blocks
  3. Red is a Neutral (because I played with several fabrics before deciding red looked best with those striped triangles}
"Red" stretches it a bit. These reds all read as foreground rather than background. Must {and will} try again.

Also posted on my blog.

9 comments:

gayle said...

I agree - those reds really are stepping up to be foreground. And doing a beautiful job of it, too!
I love the way these two blocks work together. I never would have thought to make that combination. Gorgeous quilt!

Robin said...

What an exciting looking quilt. Yes, I think it qualifies for the Red is neutral challenge. Neutral doesn't have to be soft and quiet it just needs to make everything else look good.

audrey said...

This is a lovely, gorgeous quilt. So vibrantly you! I love all the details from the skinny strips to the wider ones and the solids overlaid onto the teeny strips in the center of the quilt. Yay for checking so many challenge boxes at once! I want to try the red is a neutral challenge again myself. Just trying to pace myself and get to some other projects before I dive into that.:)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is such a beautiful and vibrant quilt! Love all the different blocks. They absolutely sing together.

Janie said...

Yes, the reds shine and bring out the best in the other colors.
The lattice blocks take the energy from the center and move it around like a frame, great effect.

Ann said...

I can't seem to respond individually here so this is a mashup to everyone. ;-)
Having confirmation from friends helps very much. I think the colors work well together in this quilt; the red sets the others off and vice versa. Still, figuring out how to make red the background will be a good challenge for me.
I have been trying to take more time on my quilts and include more details but hadn't realized how many there were till Audrey listed them. Sometimes it takes the eyes of another to see what's in front of us.
There are several more HSTs and loads more lattice blocks. I want to arrange them differently next time. Lots of room for baby quilts - always a good place to work things out.
Thanks!

Mary Marcotte said...

Those superhighways and overlapping seams in the lattice design is my favorite thing. I kept going back to distinguish between the two. You do medallion style quilts so well. And bonus points for using up some of the left-over Chinese coins from a previous quilt.
I've started a "red is a neutral" sampler quilt. I am doing a mashup of AHIQ and my guild BOM to make one quilt. I haven't gotten very far --just a few blocks actually completed--but it's a start. If I catch up with either challenge, I'll be shocked, but I don't think I need to worry!

Marly said...

This is a lovely quilt. I think that however you use red it always tries to steal the show. I feel the same way about the red in my quilt; it's forever muscling in! I once made a quilt using navy blue as a neutral and that was much easier. In fact any colour can function as "neutral", but red is just more pushy than the others.

O'Quilts said...

Boy this quilt certainly shows your art. It is stunning