17 March 2019

Hello! from Debra of Debra Dixon Design

Hello Happy Quilters!

I've decided to join you here!  My blog is Debra Dixon Design and you are welcome to stop by!

My first improvisational quilt was sewn in college from corduroy scraps I bought from a factory.  This was in 1973 while I was at the University of Oklahoma getting a home economics degree.  Up to that point I had been primarily a dressmaker.  I started sewing clothes in the 3rd grade while attending an after school program but it wasn't until junior high when I took over the main task of sewing my own clothes.

In the early 1990s I discovered thrift shopping where I could buy all the clothes I wanted at a ridiculous price. My focus moved away from dressmaking to quilting.  I had already been dabbling in quilting from the mid 1980s; just about the time Olfa rotary cutters and mats showed up on the market.  My 2 influences at the time were Nancy Crow & Yvonne Porcella.  Armed with my trusty rotary cutter I set out to try to figure out strip piecing.  I poured over their books for hours.  I eventually got the hang of what to do & my work was displayed in a local art gallery.

Around 2004 I discovered the internet had opportunities for like-minded people to hang out together.  About.com was a friendly quilt forum and I made a lot of friends I still have to this date while there.  Blogging came along almost immediately.  I formed a nucleus of quilters who wanted to blog and together we designed blogs and linked up through web rings.  It was great fun!  For almost 10 years we spent a lot of time visiting each other's studios through our blogs.

My quilting is mainly improvisational.  I've gone through a lot of phases, stages and styles but I always return to the idea of letting the machines do the work.  I've done some major embroidery work through crazy quilting but presently, I am enjoying the machine work more.  I have an APQS Millennium longarm, a 6 spool Babylock embroidery machine and a few Janome sewing machines.  My stash is unbelievable.  I recently inherited another quilter's huge stash when she decided to start over and give all her current stash away.  I am also a huge clothing thifter so a good percentage of my quilts use reclaimed fabrics in them.  Right now I am sewing improv quilts with thrifted knit clothes.

I currently maintain a studio where I concentrate on commissioned work, art markets and donating quilts to various service organizations.  This year I am focusing on the children of Angel Tree.  I hope to have plenty of quilts to give children during the Christmas season through my church's ministry with Prison Fellowship.

I look forward to your friendships!



12 comments:

Robin said...

Look forward to seeing how you interpret the challenges. I still have so much to learn. Improv quilting makes me feel free but it takes courage to loosen up.

Debra Dixon said...

It does take courage but in the end you only have to please yourself.

Kaja said...

Hello Debra and welcome to AHIQ. I look forward to seeing your work here and to exploring your blog, which looks very interesting.

Debra Dixon said...

Thank you Kaja!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Welcome Debra! I am off to see your blog.

Cindy said...

Hello Debra! You've got my attention - I love improv. Can't wait to check out your blog & follow along.

Ann said...

We're so glad you joined the group. So many new ideas. Thanks.

Debra Dixon said...

Thanks for the welcome Ladies!

patty a. said...

I am glad that you joined the group! I was reading your bio and when I got down to the words improv, reclaim clothing, and knit clothes, I knew I found someone who I would be interested in knowing since all those things are in my world. I will be checking out your blog and you will have to post a picture of your fabulous stash sometime.

Debra Dixon said...

Thanks Patty! I don't want to give anyone a heart attack with pictures of my stash. :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Welcome Debra! Happy that you are part of the AHIQ gang -- we're a diverse lot with so much knowledge, creativity, and enthusiasm that is shared freely.

Mary Marcotte said...

Well, dear, I think you've found your tribe as the kids say. We're a pretty diverse group, but we all love improv of some sort. I'll be dropping in to take a look at your blog. Thanks for joining!