13 February 2019

First steps with Red is a Neutral

I thought it would be the end of the month
before I made a start on the Invitational
taking place over the next six months.
Best laid plans and all that - I made a start today!

Ingredients for Red is a Neutral:

one stack of red triangles - more of a tomato red rather than scarlet



 heaps of scrap strips



40 pieces of Vilene to be used as foundation for the strips



and this is what I came up with


four blocks 7 and 1/2" square - at least they should have been that size 
but a slight hiccup in my making of the template meant I was
a fraction out on one of the measurements, so all of the he 40 foundation
pieces were out!
Not wanting to cut them all over again, nor waste the four blocks
I downsized them by 1/4".

I'm making Liberated Wedding Ring inspired
by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran .

Now, twenty blocks with all that red could be pretty overpowering
so I'm sashing using black/white. 
First one I tried - the spot - no good



second - the elephants - still not good



but this one was perfect, at least I think so



a quick mock up


this particular fabric tones down the full on volume
of colour for me.

Making these could be quite addictive, I think tomorrow could
be marked down for more of these blocks!

Maureen

7 comments:

Robin said...

What a fun project! The block turned out great.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That looks really pretty with the red. It makes me think of the Uncommon and Unexpected quiltalong Sujata Shah is doing.

Marie said...

This is going to be gorgeous - so rich!

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank you all vey much indeed. I was a little apprehensive about all the red initially but now love it.
I actually like the look of the few more blocks on the design wall all butted up alongside each other, the red isn't as overpowering as I had first thought.

Lynnwa said...

I love the red blocks but they always look good with black and white as well. I love doing this type of piecing. I am wondering what kind of vilene you are using for the foundations? Thank you so much.

Nifty Quilts said...

Beautiful! I love your bold colors. The black and white sashing really helps, one of great those tricks passed down from Freddy. I look forward to seeing more of this quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE -- and I agree about the sashing choice.