02 January 2019

Improvisational Map Quilt Wrap Up

With the holidays keeping me busy, I couldn't find enough quiet time to write a summary of the Map Challenge. What a challenge it was. Most of us proceeded {or not} in fits and starts. It was difficult for me to push ideas into fabric. They ran around my head but wouldn't really solidify. Finally I drew my grandparents' neighborhood and freehand pieced them using "family" fabrics.

A map of my grandparents' neighborhood

When my friend, Sue, saw it she said it would make a great placemat. Eureka. It's on the stack for quilting. I will make a second one for DH using a location he finds meaningful.

Everyone else has made much more interesting maps: forests, trails, history, words. So many unique ways to define mapping. I think this is a challenge that will reassert itself over the years. As difficult as it's been, it has also opened new neural pathways, led us to new connections between our feelings and our work.

The Next Challenge

A New Year always brings so many challenges out of the woodwork. There are several interesting ones and we all have our own work. Kaja and I have discussed our next improv idea and hope to combine it with something else. She'll write more about it soon.

Happy New Year!
Ann

9 comments:

Julierose said...

I love those "family fabrics" great idea hugs, Julierose

Sue said...

Happy new year Ann and Kaja! Still following along and looking forward to the new challenge. I have so many mapping ideas, but none of them realized as yet. Cheers from California!

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie Rose.
I can't wait to see what you figure out, Sue. It will be something exciting and original. This was a very difficult challenge to realize into fabric. So hard to grasp for me although it didn't seem that difficult at the start. Like you, I will keep mulling this over.

audrey said...

I think you sell yourself a bit short. Personally, I look at your quilt 'map' and feel envious that my mind doesn't seem to work so artfully! I love the idea of placemats. How fun and whimsical would that be?! Looking forward to the next challenge!

Connie said...

I love looking into your imagination and artful mind. I see lots of inspiring works coming up in 2019.
Happy quilting, sweet friend.
Connie :)

Mystic Quilter said...

A lovely piece Ann and beautiful fabrics. Good for you for having a finish - I haven't had a start!!
I look forward to reading about the idea from yourself and Kaja.

Kaja said...

I like this a lot and can see that you could apply the same approach to a much bigger piece, though personalised placemats is a very clever notion. I'm also sticking the idea of mixing big florals like that away for future reference.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Loving the idea of placemats -- what an excellent suggestion. Whenever there is a challenge, I tend to think first in terms of a full size quilt (48' x 64" in my case). I'm hoping to shift that going forward to think in terms of smaller useful pieces - not so much wall hangings as table toppers, placemats, long runners, etc. That scale makes things less intimidating and potentially less time consuming. Love the mix of prints you used in your piece!

Mary Marcotte said...

Wonderful way to use up "family fabrics." Actually I like the terminology, too--assuming you are referring to scraps (but I'm always late to the game so apologies if my assumption is wrong)
Those bold flowers make for a lovely neighborhood. Your grandparents must have lived in a park. How quaint.
Please show us your DH's placemat. It will be interesting to see how you get them to play nicely since they may be quite different in nature.