13 December 2018

Gamble or not? A few thoughts about my quilting

Those of you who know me, know quite well that I tend to be “all over the place”
when it comes to my quilting. Those words in quotes because they may describe
me, but it’s more of the way others describe me. In my thinking I’m just me.

In the last couple of years I have ventured into exploring my interest in visual art, art quilting and quilt paintings. The more I explore, the more I want to try something new or different. It’s as if I want to learn for the sake of learning, not particularly because I want to have a skill that I’ll use again and again. I just want to know the skill, prove to myself that I can do whatever I’m interested in at the moment, then drop it into my quilting toolbox and move on. When I need it, the skill is there. Sort of like my guys have screwdrivers, hammer and nails, etc. in their toolboxes. (The sizes of which prove that one needs everything available, just in case.)
So I’m not a very consistent quilter. I’m not surprised. At all. It’s just how I’m wired.
For example, I devour books when I’m reading. However I can go months without reading anything
beyond a few blogs (hey, chickies!) and whatever magazines happen to come to the house.
Devouring those in an hour. And I’m not particular about the topics: Car Trends,
Popular Mechanics, AARP whatever, etc.

So what’s my deal? I don’t know.  Surely anything else would have me bored out of my mind. Of course, there are downsides: I don’t think I’ll finish that book I’d love to see published. I am bad about agreeing to doing something that I easily lose interest in. Then I have to MAKE myself keep to the promise. (No fun in that!) I make rash decisions. And act on those decisions without thinking them through. Thank goodness there’s a guy in my life who is all about negativity and provides every rationale that would get past me. Yes that would be every rationale. Guess I should just stick to learning skills and playing. It’s one of the best parts of being

retired. I can play, practice, and fill my silly head with all manner of ideas. Then show
them to Richard when someone else takes the gamble and wins.

On a side note: This week I visited every blog on the side bar but ran into a few issues.

My security app (Webroot Secure Anywhere) gave me a warning saying your site is "A
High Risk Site." If you don't have a comment from me from this week, then most likely
your blog is one of the problems. (I suppose I should have made a list.) If you want me
to try again, email me at mary.marcotte@gmail.com or comment here and I'll check again.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Good for you for simply enjoying yourself. We don’t always need to finish everything or have a grand plan.
As for the side note: I have the same problem with your website. That’s why I can’t put your blog in my sidebar; it simply doesn’t show up.
Ah, technology.

Kaja said...

I think enjoying yourself is the most important part. After all, if you are not enjoying it, what's the point? I like the idea of filling your quilting toolbox with skills for future use.

audrey said...

People that quit wanting to learn and grow can be a little boring. Kudo's to you for keeping up with your interests even after being retired!

Mary Marcotte said...

One thing is certain: I'm "all in" with quilting! And learning. And having fun. Oh, and retirement so I can enjoy all of it!
Thanks everyone.