25 November 2018

My map of Outer Space.


I kind of stopped working on the little map of how to get from my house to my grandmother's house.  I couldn't figure out how to get everything I wanted on the map.  It was just a muddle.  I had too many things I wanted to put on this little quilt that only measures 21" X 25 1/2".  In the end I decided to put a border on it and put it in "time out" while I give it some more thought.



In the meantime, I needed to make a quilt for one of my grandson's.  He is the only one of my grandchildren that I have never made a quilt for.  He is six years old and it's about time.

I took him to the fabric store to let him pick out fabric he liked.  I though I would be making a dinosaur quilt and I had all kinds of things in mind.  No, no, he picked out outer space fabric, the big square on the right is from that fabric.  So, I've had to rearrange my thinking.


The gray fabric used in the top block has sparkles in it.  So does the gold fabric in the upper left corner.


I also picked out two black fabrics with stars.  I especially like that really dark tone on tone in the upper right.  And then I went through my stash to see what might go along with the universe.




The row on the far right is complete and sewn together with all the applique done. I have been surprised by how hard it is to pick the fabric combinations for this quilt.  I think part of it is that I'm using colors I don't normally put together and the other part is that I'm actually making a scrap quilt and my scraps are limited in variety.

I would love to get it done for Christmas but I don't think that's going to happen. . .  Things don't move very fast in zero gravity - ha!

Robin

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Your grandson's quilt-to-be is going to look amazing--I love the outer space fabrics with the metallic fabrics....awesome...;)))
and your map quilt--could become a "mind map"--I love it the way it is--especially those flying geese going in different directions (kinda like my mind these days lol!) Lovely mottled fabrics in this one...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I think this is fabulous - zero gravity or not!!! He will LOVE it.

Ann said...

Audrey encouraged us to make circles a couple of years ago. These look like a wonderful way to use that ability. Wish I'd thought of it.
I had the same problem with my map quilt. There are so many details I wanted to include. Instead, I left it very simple. It will take me several iterations to figure out how to abstract the extra items. It's tough to put our feelings and memories on display. It's been difficult but I'm glad I started. You must be, too.

Carli The Quilter said...

You are making fine progress and your grandson will love his new quilt! I think I really get your outer space thing now that I'v e studying what you are doing there. Its mysterious!

Kaja said...

Your planetary quilt is splendid; I like your fabric combinations a lot too and wouldn't have guessed you were using scraps if you hadn't said. I also like your little map quilt a lot. Maybe instead of trying to get everything onto one piece you could make several, similar pieces, each one with different features marked on it.

Janie said...

Great improvising on your grandson's quilt!
I think he'll be very happy with it, it really is fun to look at.

Mystic Quilter said...

Even though I am late to the party in leaving my thoughts here I think it is fantastic!!
I have made a number of quilts for our grandchildren and each one has had the choice from my stash. One in particular was a little tricky as he only wanted five particular fabrics so I had to use my powers of persuasion to get him to accept a few more≥
I'm sure your grandson is going to be thrilled with his quilt and I love the colours you've used.