27 November 2018

Mapping - so near and yet...

I am so, so close to being done with this but things are conspiring.  My exhaust pipe is currently making dire noises but I can't get it seen till the end of the week, so my driving is limited.  As long as I keep below 30mph it's okay, but that rules out getting to where I do my piecing, unless I want to make myself very unpopular on the backroads of Nottinghamshire!

As it happens, I don't think the extra time thinking but not doing will do me any harm at all. This is the last photo I took and I can tell right away that all sorts of things are not working for me.
First off I don't like all the white sashing over on the right, second of all I am trying to stretch what just won't stretch.  I've added in new bits and pieces and more of the dark green but it feels rather like I'm forcing things. What I am pondering now is taking a more radical approach - maybe making the last bit pretty much all dark (maybe the dark blue and green in squares with lighter sashing, maybe keep the blue sashing but still go much darker in the squares).  Or even find a completely different and mis-matched fabric to fill in.  

Still plenty of time to come up with ideas, as I can't see much hope of getting back to this before next week.  

4 comments:

Ann said...

The holiday season keeps me from quilting as much. This year there's lots of other things taking my attention and time. I've found taking more time before sewing everything up helps tremendously and your other quilts have benefited from "thinking but not sewing", too.
Good luck with your car. Mine just came out of the shop and actually looks and runs like new. Yay.

Robin said...

I wish I could help but the only one with the "vision" for this quilt is you. It seems a little frustrating not to be able to fix it right a way.

I like the idea you offered when you commented on my little road to grandmas quilt. You suggested that I make multiple quilts, each telling a different part of the story. That really gives me some food for thought. Thanks.

dq said...

Hi Robin. One thing I am certain a about is, "if it doesn't feel right to you, just fix it until it does." A fellow quilter I know who is beyond amazing believes that the quilt will tell you what it wants. I think you should let this quilt tell you what it wants.

Janie said...

Lots of thinking and planning here, that's good!
Yes, I do hope you get your car fixed too so the Nottingham folks
don't get real upset.