22 October 2018

Map Quilt: Month 3

After several weeks of Productive Procrastination {an amazingly useful term coined by Mel Beach} I made myself start cutting fabric for my map quilt. I measured the city blocks, chose a fabric and cut a strip to fit the widest in a section. The next step was verifying the grouping of the blocks so they were in the correct sewing order. Then they could be connected by narrow streets.

City blocks partially cut and sewn

The street fabric is a dark grey twill. The color is deep and lustrous but the fabric is thick; not the best choice for narrow seams and intersections. Ah, well.

Sewing section together

So far there are five different fabrics. My first thought was to make each block from a different fabric but the large florals extend between blocks beautifully. And once I actually started, the work was easier than expected.

Map quilt top sewn

Of course, some of the streets don't align like they should. Two intersections are a bit off, and some streets at at the bottom rotated; however, I'm letting them fall where they will at this point.

This is my first map quilt. Constructing this has opened many more ideas in my mind. Perhaps there will be a series like Chinese Coins.

Thanks for reading, Ann

8 comments:

Kaja said...

I really like the way these large florals are working. At first glance I read this as one single fabric, which makes it feel very coherent, but because it's actually a number of different fabrics it also bears close inspection. Very clever.

Lisa J. said...

It's very interesting to read your process and the florals are really beautiful. Like Kaja I read this as one fabric.

Ann said...

Thanks, Lisa and Kaja. There are several issues with this but I decided I needed to finish one. Map quilts will take several iterations before proficiency arrives.
Using multiple florals is my favorite part of this map. One came from my mother and is extra special for that reason.

audrey said...

Love this! So engaging. The dark narrow strips are strong without being overpowering. Very curious to see this one develop!

Robin said...

What a fun idea. I really like the sheen on your sashing fabric. The florals are beautiful!

Janie said...

Beautiful, I think it looks like a stained glass window!

Ann said...

I chose that grey sashing because of the sheen... and despite its thickness. Thanks for the supportive comments. It was a good first try. I'm pleased that I kept it small, too.
Now I want to try again. There was a big hurdle to actually starting this project. Tougher than it seems.

Mystic Quilter said...

Luscious fabric Ann. I do like how this is working.