01 September 2018

Year Two of My Journey - 2005



Continuing on with the mapping 
of my own quilting journey
in response to the current AHIQ challenge:

During my second year of quilt making,
there were lots of what I call "formula" quilts -
each one helping me get more comfortable
with quilt making skills.

There were two very special quilts that stood out that year . . . 


Quilted by Chris Ballard

The first was a quilt started in a LQS class.

The Fickle Pickle pattern is now out of print.

It was my first experience with basic paper piecing,
fusible web, and an all-batik approach.

It was also my first all-out-saturated scrappy quilt.

This quilt was such a milestone for me
and it is still one of my favorites,
including the scrappy pieced all-batik back.


Quilted by Chris Ballard


The second quilt features Sunbonnet Sue figures
rescued from my sister's childhood quilt
that had been hand-made by our grandmother.

My sister asked me if I could fix it
but the backing fabrics were just too thin
so I unstitched the girls and appliquéd them
onto an assortment of reproduction fabrics.

I used the remainder of the repro fabrics
to piece my first-ever string blocks.

My sister was beyond elated
and for quite a few years the quilt hung
on the wall of her master bedroom.

I borrowed it back for our county fair
where it won a Best of Show ribbon
for its category.

That was quite a vote of confidence for me.

Not only did I rescue and re-make something 
that was deeply meaningful
but others who "knew" recognized its value. 

Quiltdivajulie


7 comments:

Carli The Quilter said...

What a lovely start to your quilting journey. Both of these quilts were a journey indeed, a lovely one, set to inspire you furhter.

Sun Bonnet Sue is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilts!

Kaja said...

Interesting to see that you started doing your own thing so early, even if you were forced to by the state of your sister's quilt. I love what you came up with by way of a rescue.

Quayquilter said...

Thanks for sharing. I love the contrast between the two - there is so much to explore - many mansions.

Robin said...

I have rescued a few quilts before but that is really going the extra mile. What a wonderful sister.

audrey said...

Your sisters quilt was a happy intro into doing your own thing. Both quilts show the promise of how your quilting has evolved!

QuiltGranma said...

So delighted for both you and your sister that you were able to SAVE her beloved childhood quilt! Wonderful job, and keep growing!

Ann said...

Reading about your quilting journey is very enlightening, Julie. You created a newer beauty from your grandmother's blocks. I love how the quilt combines the creativity of you both and know your sister must feel the same.