18 September 2018

Mapping My Brain, Perhaps

I've been thinking a great deal about this map challenge, and I have an idea, but rendering it in fabric has proven tricky.

You see, I have Bipolar 1 Disorder. Until recently I dealt with it through denial, secrecy, embarrassment and a host of other negative behaviors. I've finally begun the process of trying to heal in a positive way.


I will always have the disorder and will forever take medicine, see therapists, and struggle with "blue days." However, I can allow myself a happier, healthier life. So, I began researching positive lifestyle habits for recovery. Then one day an idea started to form which has become a quilt series allowing me to think about and deal with overcoming those negative thoughts and replacing them with positive behaviors.


Today it occurred to me that in a way this series is a map of my recovery. I've chosen several ideas that I believe can work for me. Creating an art quilt focusing on one strategy helps me to focus on the ways that I can incorporate that particular approach into my life.

I'm finding that since it takes me several hours to complete a quilt, I have ample time to do all the work of brainstorming opportunities, wading through the pitfalls and finding solutions, then constructing actions that will fit my life. It just sounds easy.


My hope is that eventually I'll be able to help others in some way using the quilt series: perhaps as a way to begin a dialogue, to teach positive lifestyle choices,  or to inform family members. Perhaps an opportunity will present itself, but for now this series is meant to help me. If we can call it a process map, then I suppose I'm playing with the rest of the group and that makes me very happy indeed.
Mary

6 comments:

Robin said...

It sounds like positive progress. Making a quilt stems from all types of motivation from destressing while sewing, to playing with fabric, to searching for meaning in the process, to finding healing. Quilting does it all.

audrey said...

Quilting is a wonderful method for processing almost any emotion. Love how it can inform and heal.:)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our son has bipolar and is also on the autism spectrum. SO much to deal with - he sketches, writes poetry, plays with digital photography, does yoga and meditation - and each of those help him in different ways. I like your idea of the quilts in series as a conversation starter.

Ann said...

What a meaningful map series and how courageous you are to face it with fortitude and positivity. I hope you find many opportunities to share this with others. Thanks for sharing your unique vision.

Kaja said...

Fantastic, Mary! This is a deeply personal approach to the challenge; I admire your openness in sharing it here and love the idea that as a series these little quilts might create opportunities for conversations and for helping/informing others.

Mary Marcotte said...

I should have come by sooner. All the kindness and encouragement a girl could want is right here. Thank you all for your comments.
There you go, Robin, add encouragement and friendship to your list. Quilting really does do it all.
When I began this series it seemed to be all about me and my healing, but as I've written about it and shared it with others, I'm discovering that people really only need an opening to show support. It's awesome!