24 June 2018

Showing Crazy to the Whole Wide World

Out of my groove, I did the unnatural color scheme, for me..
I usually like darks and brights...but tried out lights here.
The goal was to do random and low volume.
Picking out lights with a few sparkles..grab as you go, no direction or plan.
Just cutting and sewing and quilting and relaxing.

 My quilting group hated it.  They did not even want to help me baste it.
They said:
1.  It was not low volume.....
2.  It was not pretty....
3.  They did not like random....
4.  It was not improv....
The dog likes the quilt....but a treat was involved!!!
They did like the backing.
Food trucks make anything better.
 I experimented with the quilting too.  Using my walking foot, 
I just zig-zagged around the quilt.
Unfortunately I used variegated thread,
 so I never could tell where I had quilted before., 

Ok...nothing is a mistake and it will warm someone, someday.
I learned not to do that kind of quilting again, not to use that kind of thread again
on this type of quilt, I learned that I like more quilting on my quilts....
 and I learned that I could just forget...
the quilt police and do my own thing..

Diane from O'Quilts

12 comments:

Robin said...

If "grab as you go" and "no direction or plan" is not improv then my quilts don't qualify as well. I learned a lot on my last attempt at improv and I don't think your quilt group would want to help me baste mine either. But, I tried and I learned a lot about myself and I'll do better next time. I think your quilt is very nice and it's lower volume than what you normally do - right?

Mary Marcotte said...

By definition improv IS "grab as you go" [with] "no direction or plan" just as much as there may be a plan that you tweak along the way--at least in my mind. If you're learning and having fun, that's all that really matters.

I like the quilt. I love that you experimented. I dislike your quilt police. Sometimes you get a ticket but the police officer is wrong. I hope you're not too discouraged and will try improv again. It's a process and takes time, but you've been a quilter for a while now, so you know all that.

Kudos on the quilt. I really like the softness of your colors and that you've played with different blocks. I especially like that you put into words what you've learned.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I too like your quilt, it's soft & I love the scattered value layout. It's got a feeling that "everything is going according to no plan", which I tend to work by these days :)

Kaja said...

Nobody else gets to tell you whether your quilt is improv or not! I like the quilt too - like the others have said the colours are very soft and pretty and it has a lovely relaxed feel to it.

Pam said...

Hi Diane.
I like your quilt!! I love how you approached it.
I think you need new friends.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree with Pam - I like the design and colors in your quilt (a lot) totally understand what you mean about not using that style of quilting again. Keep on stitching!

Unknown said...

I just love your quilt, love it, love it, love it......

Lisa Boyer said...

I think your quilt is beautiful. It looks like truth, sweetness, patience, and like a real person made it.

audrey said...

I'm so glad you stuck with it! When we change our quilting style, it's often hard on our quilting friends. They want the old you back and that's not always a good thing.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

It makes me happy that you've shown us this lovely quilt of yours - shame that your guild fellows didn't appreciate it!! I love using variegated thread for stitching and you could always use a darker one next time.

Aileen said...

I really like your quilt. Listen to your inner voice and ignore the outside noise. Some of the old timers in my quilt group do have problems with change. They were REALLY apposed to long arm quilts. Said it was cheating. Some of those very same ladies are long arm and mid arm quilters now. LOL!
I am just beginning on this journey again. I was making little quilts for Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative and loved just the challenge of using what was on my table. I want to do this with my big scraps. Can't wait to join.

Ann said...

While I frequently make quilts in strong and/or bright colors, I enjoy these softer versions. Plus they are so useable in a home. Everyone wants to touch and snuggle in them. Success for you.
I have trouble with variegated thread, too. I worry that a single color won't "look good" on different fabrics but end up liking it much better than the variegated. It's good have my opinions confirmed. ;-)