23 March 2023

AHIQ: talking point for March


Ah yes, one of my main inspirations for quilting has always been books. And one of my earliest loved books was "Scrap Quilts" by Judy Martin. My copy is well thumbed and has been a great resource for block patterns and scrappy quilt ideas over the years. 


- I just love this bear's paw variation, yet to make my own version!


Like many others, another favourite is Roderick Kiracofe's "Unconventional& Unexpected" book. While I find improv challenging, I never fail to be surprised by these extraordinary quilts made by US quilters during the last half of the 20th century. The quilts are quirky, improvisational, and sometimes not perfectly made, but such a visual delight!




"The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters" by Sherri Lynn Wood is another book I have spent many hours reading. It explores quilt making in a fun way, breaking free of the old rules, and encouraging unique improvisation. Just need to switch on my improv button & live courageously ...




And another book on my shelf is "Sunday Morning Quilts" by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison. This is a book that altered how I see my "style" and gave me permission I guess, to use every last bit of my treasured stash!  My Sunday mornings got a whole lot busier once I started down this road that's for sure! 




Lately though, rather than buying, I have been ordering quilting books from the library, like "Cultural Fusion Quilts" by Sujata Shah. It's "a melting pot of piecing traditions" full of bold & vibrant quilts... I think I've had this book out at least 3 times, I probably should have bought my own copy by now, I think!
 

Surfing social media provides even more inspiration!
I love all that sharing ❤️ on quilt blogs & Instagram,
it makes me want to start new projects faster than I can finish them
- but books are still a favourite for inspiration!

And how about you, what inspires you most for quilt making?




6 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thanks Linda for posting about quilting books. Some of these I'm familiar with but that Fusion one looks very interesting. I need to have an interest in smaller quilts. I still think they should go on a bed which is very old fashioned of me.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great list of books - so many of these are on my shelves, too. I don't have the Sherri Lynn Woods book - I need to check that out!

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing Linda, super books and inspiration.

Mystic Quilter said...

Unconventional & Unexpected seems to be a popular one amongst us, I regularly browse through my copy, lots of inspiration and you're showing two of the quilts marked out in my copy - the left and right of the three in your photo. Lots of scraps can find a good home in these. I agree we have lots to see on quilt blogs certainly, unfortunately I notice that more and more of the bloggers I have followed for many years have moved along to Instagram.

audrey said...

These are some great books! I love the Cultural Fusion book so very much.

Kaja said...

Thanks for sharing, Linda. That Bears Paw is gorgeous - I'd love to see you do a version.