09 June 2020

My thirty-second recycled clothing project

The prompt this month was for clothing recycling. Well, I have plenty of projects to fit that! It is time to the piece I started in the Gee's Bend workshop at QuiltCon in 2015. We were to bring some old clothes and work on starting a quilt top out of them. I brought two denim shirts that I did not wear, a beige shirt, and a red polo shirt. I remember Mary Ann Pettway asking me how big I was going to make my piece. I said I would keep sewing until I run out of fabric from the shirts. She smiled and approved. Here is the piece as it stands right now. When time ran out the ladies were happy to pose for pictures. I asked them to sign my piece. They looked at me and said really? You want us to write on your piece? I said yes! They said nobody ever asked them to do that before. I was glad two of the ladies dated it too.
So now I will play around with the fabric I have left and get this top finished. I have the perfect place to hang it in my living room once I get it done. I also have a pile of clothes that were my Dad's that I want to make a couple quilts out of for a couple of my brothers and I have a box of linens that I have collected over the years and think they will make an interesting quilt. I really like making quilts out of clothing. I have made 31 quilts out of clothing over thirty years. I have used all kinds of clothing including t-shirts, jeans, Dockers, a seersucker jacket, and polyester/rayon shirts. I have embellished with the labels and buttons that I carefully removed. Maybe now I will get these projects that have been in the back of my mind done!

2 comments:

Ann said...

I saw this on your blog, too. What a great idea to get their signatures. Your fabric color choices are wonderful here. I love these shades of solid. They all look so well used but the cream and red give it needed contrast.
I've seen a couple of your "clothing" quilts but not all 31. You have an eye for this. Can't wait to see your results.

Kaja said...

Asking them to sign your quilt was a fantastic idea. I love your fabrics and the way they are working together.