12 October 2018

Maps AdHoc Improv Challenge






Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.
Where the weather is sunny with wind and the temperatures have stayed in the 70's this week.

Where is RPV you might ask? West of LA on the west side of the coastal range. 
It has its own micro climate, being right off the Pacific Ocean and so generally cooler and maybe gets a little more fog, mist and wind than the LA Valley.

This week I had time to add the final border to 'City Side Walks' and to get the hand quilting finished up. Next the binding, in the same color as the final border, Kona cotton solid, Wasabi, will get sewn on. I enjoy the colors and names of the Kona cotton solids, can you tell?

I roughly followed Tonye Belinda Phillips' pattern, Welsh Folded Log Cabins, as I've said before.
I used my own construction method, color and block arrangement.
This quilt is my interpretation of the Adhoc improv challenge, Maps.
It reminds me of city sidewalks with houses, townhouses and apts all stacked along city streets and sidewalks.

Also Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew has a wonderful post on 'Why I Quilt'. Thanks Allison, for the encouraging words!

That's the news from the rancho.
Where we are remembering/praying for the people who've lost their homes in Florida.
And being thankful.
I'll be by to visit.

5 comments:

O'Quilts said...

very lovely

Kaja said...

As soon as you pointed it out, log cabins seemed a perfect way to approach the map theme and this has worked out really well.

Janie said...

Thank you, Kaja, I always appreciate your input.

Robin said...

Love the Bird of Paradise! I'm so glad your having fun with this quilt, not just in the sewing but the other things add to the Joy (the name Wasabi is great).

Linda said...

Inspiring me to do something along these lines. I grew up in Rolling Hills Estates and think it is pretty funny that you did a map quilt with SIDEWALKS!