30 July 2018

'City Streets' Could Be a Kind Of Map.

One of the first arrangements.

The left row and corner were changed. Final arrangement layered and pin basted. 

Backing for Log Cabin blocks 'City Streets.'


This quilt could be called a map quilt. I'll probably name it 'City Streets.'

Last week I finalized my Log Cabin block quilt arrangement that was stalled for a while. I had to keep asking myself, 'What is the intent here? Log Cabin blocks have something to say and just what is that?'  I decided movement was important and color could work that out.
I was thinking Log Cabin blocks mean houses (to me) and what if this was a city and you had streets and apartments and houses all lined up along sidewalks. So that helped me figure out the final placement so it made sense.

The bigger blocks are 7" finished with the small blocks at 3.5". I roughly followed Tonye Phillips' pattern 'Welsh Folded Log Cabins.'
I chose to machine piece, instead of hand piece and arranged the blocks my own way. 

That's the latest 'Map' installment.

Have a good week. 




6 comments:

Kaja said...

Yes! I like that this is using traditional blocks but that the intent and the resulting layout also make it a map quilt.

Robin said...

Fascinating color placement. I'm glad you found a way to meaning into this project. Nice job!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the varying sizes of the blocks and the way you arranged them so they interact with each other. Great name for the quilt, too!

Cathy said...

Yeah...I'd move back to those city streets if they looked like this!

Ann said...

Very striking, Janie. I thought I’d already commented but it didn’t take. The way you used color and size is superb. I wish big cities looked like this.

Carli The Quilter said...

Mind maps really comes alive to me in your quilt of log cabins, yes, this is good challenge. Lovely start.