26 June 2018

Progress Update

Happy happy to my AHIQ friends! More progress was made on my Score #5 attempt. This picture basically represents the middle portion of the quilt. As I was pondering the overall look, it occurred to me that this may be too short to gracefully accommodate the remaining two vertical rows that need to be added.*grr  How tricky will that be to add on one extra block onto the ends of the four rows already sewn together?
Score #5
I had a crazy amount of fun working on this project {can read more about that over on my blog}, but it still had lots of tough moments working with flow and respect to the original quilt formula. Somehow my quilt has more of a rail fence feel than the enclosed square look that caught my eye in the original {pictured in The Improv. Handbook for Modern Quilters by Sherri Lynn Wood}. By now I've worked with enough improv. to know not to fight authentic flow, no matter where or how it might deviate from our original thought or intent.

What I'm looking forward to most with this Score #5, is the idea of learning more about 'permeable borders'. I think that's something that happened in my latest quilt finish, but it should be helpful to experiment with this idea in a whole new setting. As a dedicated border enthusiast, I have a habit of locking down and closing in my quilts with strong, obvious boundaries and borders. Just the nature of this particular score eliminates that as an option which will help force me to work through my natural design inclinations....*fingers crossed!
Playing With Scale #2
Then there's this second improv. quilt that sprung up almost out of nowhere. Months ago I had gathered a stack of fabrics together with the vague idea of making a quilt for the wedding of a relative. After much thought, I decided it was too much effort to expend on a couple that might not recognize me if I met up with them unexpectedly in a store! Hmm... Is that mean? But That Fabric....

And so I pretty much dove head first into making the initial units. Just enough to get a good feel for moving forward before I wrenched myself back and grimly focused on more important projects. lol Isn't it fun to have these open ended improv. quilts in the queue? This will probably be Playing With Scale #2 if I give in to the urge to include larger triangles. {And I know that's where I'm headed so why fight it?} I'm beginning to think my mind won't even function anymore without dreaming up more improv. ideas. One idea gets finished up and another pops up right behind it. For now I'm busy making lots and lots of freehand hst blocks before I will attempt to make more strippy units. There is a very, very loose plan in the works, but we'll see how that pans out before committing to anything too structured. Happy stitching, Audrey

p.s. Not to be repetitive in any way, but moving forward my intention is to try to balance both this and my regular quilting blog. I really like the quilting journal aspect of my original blog and want to keep it current as well.





8 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Ha! I am like you. Once I have started a project, in my head one more pops right up behind it. After 44 years of quilting...you can imagine the line of quilt tops, UFO's etc. I have. I am trying hard to finish some...but then fun is a better word..so I start something new...

Kaja said...

If you don't think adding an extra row will work, you could always step further away from the score and try something else! Your new strips look enticing - lovely, lovely colours. Improv can get you like that - there's always something you want to try next.

Mystic Quilter said...

Regarding whether to add the vertical rows what is the size presently? Also, I do like the fabrics ready and waiting on your design wall!

audrey said...

Thanks to everyone for the comments! And Maureen--the quilt is approx. 40 x 60 right now. If I add on another vertical row per side, then it will end up being squareish and I think that will ruin the ultimate look to the quilt. Like Kaja said, I might could go another direction too. We'll see.

Mary Marcotte said...

Though I make lots of squarish quilt, I don't like them as much as I like rectangular ones. People (and beds) are not square.
Those colors do work well together. It's not a palette that I'd have tried, but when it comes to color, I play it safe. Maybe that should be my next challenge! Your quilt looks great.

Janie said...

I like your #5, fun contrast and movement.
Whatever you were thinking when you worked on it
keep that going!

Ann said...

I made score 5 with a small group; two of them found it very easy and two of us had great difficulty understanding her directions. It's also in a Freddy Moran book as Marzella's Quilt. It's such an attractive quilt in each variation. I'm so glad this is working out for you. I want to try it again. Love the permeable border idea.

audrey said...

So interesting that some people found the directions understandable and some did not. The diagrams look fine to me, but it's the words that start blending together to me.:) Hoping I can pull it together regardless!