26 June 2018

Playing with Scale

Since this is the 4th Tuesday of the month and would previously have been link up day I thought I'd do a quick round up of my Playing with Scale challenge stuff.

My first go was based around wanting to use a large scale green and black print that I'd had for ages, with the additional challenge of using much bigger individual blocks than I would tend to.  I have started quilts before intending to keep things large, but my natural inclination seems more to be for working smaller and smaller and smaller.

This went okay for me. It turns out I didn't mind the bigger blocks, I liked how the green and black fabric worked and I learned a bit about balance: when there are fewer components you have to make sure each one is in the right place and pulling its weight; when there are loads of much smaller pieces I think it's easier to have one or two less than perfect bits and still get a satisfactory overall look.
Since the challenges this year are running for 6 months instead of 3, and I find that they provided a focus and  impetus that is really fruitful for me, I thought I'd try to keep elements of the playing with scale theme in the next quilts I made. So, with Findhorn I deliberately played around a bit with the scale of my flying geese...
and in the current project I am using two different sizes of block. 
Overall, I think that I have learned a lot about placement during this challenge and have articulated some things that I probably knew on some level already, specifically about movement and rhythm in my quilting, about how using similar units in different sizes helps to create that rhythm and about the impact you can get from working with larger units (yes, I know this last one should have been pretty obvious, but sometimes it just takes me a while).  

I'm looking forward now to finishing the latest quilt off and being ready for Ann's challenge next month.

On a practical note, I am assuming most people will just put up posts when they want to, but if you have a post on your blog already, you can just post the link here and ask us to visit.  If you can't currently post on this blog and would like to, get in touch and I'll send you an invitation.

Kaja

8 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Interesting look at it all...scale...nice post

Mary Marcotte said...

Yes mam, scale can be a difficult idea to grasp.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I do like the six month challenge period - I focused on one single quilt and its finished reveal will be on the blog(s) tomorrow. I'm most curious to see what the next challenge will be. These do stretch me as a maker and that is a wonderful thing. I, too, gravitate to smaller pieces for precisely the same reasons you shared. Large expanses of negative space bother me enormously. I think you did a wonderful job with all three of your projects!

audrey said...

Always interesting to read about your challenges. I adore the first quilt in particular. Something about the colors and timeless look to it! And of course the smaller quilt is just stunning. So incredible to think that it's all done freehand and basically 'as you go'. Love your work!

Kaja said...

I have pondered negative space occasionally, Julie, but it bothers me enormously too.

Mystic Quilter said...

The Playing with Scale Challenge has produced beautiful results - sadly not for me as I never got around to making anything! I particularly love the sense of movement in Findhorn.

Kaja said...

Thanks, Maureen. There'll be plenty more challenges - doesn't matter if you missed this one. :-)

Ann said...

You've built tremendous movement into your quilts - each in a different way. Your fabric and color choices are inspiring.